AA4NC ARRL 160

Subject: AA4NC ARRL 160
From: AA4NC@aol.com (AA4NC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 5 16:59:53 1994
1036 QSOs - 74 Sections - 18 Countries = 196,968
22 hours (I did sleep  - see note)
Yaesu FT990 / Amp Supply LK500 (1200w) / inverted v / 800' beverage (actually
W1FB snake antenna)

Knew this one was gonna be good when the first hour was 103...
I put up (or really put down as it's on the ground) a W1FB snake antenna for
receiving aimed west. I've never used a receiving antenna before but it
really made the difference. My usual score is about 800 Qs, so I guess the RX
antenna was worth over 200 Qs.

Is it just me or is this posibly the most boring contest there is after the
first night? It's worse than SS Sunday could ever be. You just have to sit
and CQ to no one for hours and hours with rates approaching 10/hour if you're
lucky! The multis have it made in this one. I just pity their daytime guys
they just hold their leased frequencies until darkness by calling CQ
forever... HOWEVER - that perserverance does pay off. AA4S won NC and beat me
by about 100 QSOs (mults were identical) due to operating while I was sound
asleep - so there you go - Break out the No- Doz and put those toothpicks on
your eyelids to win this one.
I've got it - we could make this one more interesting by putting a limit on
the number of times you can call CQ.  Once you have used your limit, you have
to quit or S&P until everyone is gone. Maybe Ken Wolf could put a CQ counter
in CT for next year's test. We could make the number fairly low to put a
merciful end to the contest, so we could actually get some rest! :-) I'm
still zombified - I could never survive working night shift...

Will AA4NC