What's a valid QSO?

Subject: What's a valid QSO?
From: Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL (Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL)
Date: Fri Dec 9 08:56:12 1994
>Something that I had happen about 5 times is calling someone and having
>two people answer me (the intended station and the station one "channel"
>away).
>Sometimes, of course, one can work them both at once.  (As long as the
>exchange doesn't have a serial number, of course.)  On the other hand,
>there are always a few times I call someone, he says I'm a dupe, but
>he's not in my log.  So I wonder how many of those are stations I didn't
>even hear, but who thought I was working them earlier.  I usually just assume I
>copied the call wrong the first time, or whatever, but the sensible
>thing would be to just work him again.  It's to his advantage too, as the
>first "contact" may not be valid.

What does one do in the case where the station being worked
says: "Sri QSO B4, so long..." I know for a fact that I never
worked him/her? This usually happens to me with mults which I
tend to recognize over "just another Q"?  It happens to me
more often than most because my buddy Wayne King, N2WK, is
an active contester.  I beg for them to dupe me and hope the
QSO isn't disqualified by the contest police.  I'm not clear
of what I should do in this instance? I'll ask what time I
worked them, but that is often ignored and the station begins
calling CQ or QRZ. So, what are my options: 1) log the station
at that time; 2) not log the staiton and feel real bad because
it was SU2MT.  What do the rules say, and what does the contest
committee do in this instance?

                        73 de Walt - K2WK

73 de Walt Kornienko  -   K2WK          Internet:   waltk@pica.army.mil
DX PacketCluster:  K2WK > W3MM          Packet:  K2WK@N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM
<<<<<<>>>>>>>  Proud Member Of The : Franford Radio Club  <<<<<<>>>>>>>

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)

> an active contester.  I beg for them to dupe me and hope the
> QSO isn't disqualified by the contest police.  I'm not clear
> of what I should do in this instance? I'll ask what time I
> worked them, but that is often ignored and the station begins
> calling CQ or QRZ. So, what are my options: 1) log the station
> at that time; 2) not log the staiton and feel real bad because
> it was SU2MT.

If you call the guy, and he comes back with YOURCALL DUPE, then go
ahead and put him in your log at that time.  He may or may not log
the QSO, but if he thinks you are a dupe, then you are already in
his log.  This will be good enough for most contest log checking
and will be good enough for QSLing, since the QSL manager will (should)
look up all the contacts made with you when he replies to your card.

--Trey, WN4KKN/6