IARU Region 1 Contest Sub-group

Subject: IARU Region 1 Contest Sub-group
From: wbs@cix.compulink.co.uk (Woolwich Building Society)
Date: Mon Feb 6 16:24:00 1995
Fred Laun posted an item about the IARU Region 1 Contests Sub-Group which
is a sub-group of the IARU Region 1 HF Committee. I put together some
comments from my perspective in Region 1 but had problems getting it onto
the reflector. Here goes again from another mailer.

Dave G4BUO

> ........... Region 1 HF Contests Sub-Group.  The Chairman is Ron Glaisher,
> G6LX, phone 011-44-81-654-1406 or fax 011-44-81-656-3631.  No E-mail
> address given.

Ron is not yet on email but any items relating to RSGB contests can be sent
to me (lawleyd.lawley%ibmmail.ibmx400.gb@mhs-relay.ac.uk). Laurence G4HTD
and Don G3OZF also have email facilities and subscribe to the reflector.
Sorry about my horrendous email address. Other members of the RSGB HF
Contests Committee are G3SJJ (Chairman), G4IQM, G6LX, G3VHB, GM4FDM, G4VXE

> Chris, G3VHB, is developing contest log-checking software for use in
> checking logs submitted to RSGB for the contests they sponsor.  From the
> comments in the item it appears that G3VHB knows nothing about the
> extensive work in this area done by N6AA and N6TR .....

We certainly do know about Dick and Tree's work and Laurence emailed
Tree some time ago about using his checking software. Ron G6LX also
approached ARRL with the same question. The conclusion apparently was that
we should try writing our own. I don't know exactly how many contests have
been checked (cross-checked, dup checked and unique checked) using G3VHB's
program but to my knowledge in 1994 two AFS contests, National Field Day and
SSB Field Day were all checked by computer.

> ................  It is not
> beyond imagination that the European idea that it is OK for single
> operators to use packetcluster without affecting their status as
> single-operator entries could also be raised ....

An unfortunate choice of phrase. DARC chose to allow single ops
to use packet, the subject of much reflector correspondence earlier in the
year, and no repeats now please. But it is not 'the European idea': many of
us are very much opposed to this move. As Tree pointed out, the decision
was not made by contesters within DARC, and many Europeans boycott WAE
because of this rule. The agreed position within IARU Region 1 is that
member societies are free to allow or disallow packet for single ops, or
to specify an assisted category, when writing the rules for their contests.

Dave G4BUO