Scoring changes (VHF/UHF) rover class (long)

Subject: Scoring changes (VHF/UHF) rover class (long)
From: gt5830b@prism.gatech.edu (gt5830b@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 7 17:42:34 1995

ND3F writes:

>   I think the old scoring system encouraged more "true" roving:  I feel
>   that I need "portable" type sites, big power, big antennas to get a good
>   score and maybe put out only 1 "rarer" grid in the contest, rather than the
>   "many grid--get the strongest guys" concept we had been using.  However,
>   KP4XS did very well south of us with his 6 grid expedition.
>   See you in June!!  73
>
> End of returned message

Along this line, I found the same to be the case after my January roving
experience in North and Central Georgia.   The following letter summarizes
my position on the scoring change for rovers.  I welcome any other
comments on this subject.  Please respond to me directly at:

gt5830b@prism.gatech.edu

Dave, K0DI.

To the Contest Advisory Committee

Please consider the following comments pertaining to the recent rule
changes in scoring of the rover class entries in the January VHF/UHF
Sweepstakes.  Under the current scoring method for the rover category,
the total score is simply the sum of the scores from each grid square.
In general, large scores are always the result of a large number of
QSO's coupled with a large number of multipliers.  Previously, rovers
achieved high scores by accumulating a large number multipliers from
contacts having unique grid square combinations, each counting as a
multiplier with the TOTAL QSO points (from all grids), thus encouraging
activation of many (and rare) grids.  Under the new scoring system it
is no longer desirable to have QSO's with many unique grid square
combinations.

Currently, to maximize a roving score (using the new scoring method),
I would plan to do 95% of my operation from a single grid square to
achieve a maximum number of multipliers acting on a large number of
QSO points (the way to achieve a high score).  If I change grids I have
to start all over building up QSO points and multipliers.  The major
operation would take place in the square closest to a large population
center and the square having the best operating location (highest point).
This practice is completely against the intention of the rover category:
to activate as many grid squares as possible during the contest weekend,
and especially the ``rare'' grids.  For rover entrants to fulfill the desired
role of the class it is essential to re-incorporate motivation for
significant operations from many different grid squares through the scoring
architecture.

Activation of rare grids adds significantly to the enjoyment of VHF and
UHF contests for all participants and the motivation for this in the
rover class was accomplished very well under the old scoring system.
If a reduction of the rover scores under the old system is desired so
that rover scores are ``in line'' with single-op and multi-op scores,
then it would be much better to simply use the old system of rover class
scoring and scale the result by 1/2, 1/4  or even 1/10.
I sincerely believe the VHF/UHF contest community would
benefit from a return to the previous rover scoring architecture.

David B. Kunkee, K0DI
gt5830b@p[rism.gatech.edu