Infrequent signing and dupes

Subject: Infrequent signing and dupes
From: bcoleman@hayes.com (bcoleman@hayes.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 11:35:20 1995
>From: lvn@fox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Larry Novak)
>
>Call: C6AHE
>
>Lowlights:
>
> ... I had the computer programmed to send my call after every 3 QSO's ...
>
>  3. Second pet peeve: dupes.

Hey, if you are only sending your call every three QSOs in a contest, then you
deserve all the dupes you get. Someone may have just tuned on to you just as
you sent your call, so they missed it. Are they supposed to sit around while
you polish off three Qs before sending your call? Heck no. They are going to
call you.

By the time they call you and find out what your call is, it is too late for
them to realise you were a dupe. Rather than waste more time trying to get
through the pileup to tell you it was a dupe.

If you want fewer dupes, trying signing after every QSO. If you refuse to give
your call that frequently, then you'll have to live with all the dupes.

(Frankly, I've never understood the penchant for signing infrequently in a
contest. Signing less often supposedly "saves" time, but it ends up wasting
everyone's time in call requests, dupes and excessively large pileups due to
blind calling.

Perhaps in our champaign to demand full calls, we should also insist on at
least
1 signing per QSO.)

Bill, AA4LR
bcoleman@hayes.com