Multiplier Mania

Subject: Multiplier Mania
From: barron@liant.com (Robert Barron)
Date: Mon Apr 3 10:47:08 1995
George Cutsogeprge (W2VJN) wrote:

> K1KPs posting started me thinking about the geographically
> challenged scoring problem again.  I think that changing the
> multiplier number for the various continents is a good idea.  It could
> have the effect of increasing the activity level world wide, no t just
> in the western USA.  Suppose VK (or any other Oceania country) was a
> multiplier of, say, 10 or some other number that was much larger than
> multipliers from heavily represented areas.  This would make
> contesting much more fun for people in Oceania a s they would be in
> great demand, and that would stimulate activity.

Although not exactly the same as the proposals that have been
discussed thus far the upcoming GridLoc contest will help determine
the effect of more multipliers on activity.  Both JA's and VK's will
supply multiple multipliers.

> Large multipliers for the rarer countries and/or continents would also
> help cut down on the CQing by big stations as they would have to S&P
> more to win.  Its easy to implement and check, not like some other
> suggestions such as the 5 minute rule.  No time is lost by  the
> operator and in my opinion, the fun level is increased.

There are conflicting opinions about the operating technique that
will win GridLoc.  Continuous CQ'ing or more band changes and
hunting and pouncing both have their believers.  We'll see.

73,

Robert Barron, KA5WSS                 barron@liant.com
Liant Software Corporation            Hook 'Em Horns!
Don't forget to operate the GridLoc contest (April 8-9, 1995)