ISDN, remote stations

Subject: ISDN, remote stations
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 5 13:28:59 1995
I suspect that the initial useage of ISDN, et. al.,  remote control/operation
of a contest station will center around allowing 'top gun ops' who cannot
travel to the super station for the duration of a contest, to operate their
shift(s).  It is most likely to be done in conjunction with an operating crew
present at the site, especially in a multi/multi-multi effort, who can
trouble shoot, provide back up, rig/antenna change, etc. and generally assure
a smooth interface between the local and remote ops.
 An analogous structure would be for the remote op(s) to run the multiplier
search(s), feeding the at-site 'top guns' via a private packet cluster...
I also suspect that the generic phone line, audio bandwidth limitation
mentioned by K3NA is a minimal inhibition, if at all...Technology only needs
a problem towards which it can be directed...Certainly fiber optic and/or
microwave/satellite telemetry links have more than adequate bandwidth for the
information transfer and can be leased for a job (this is done daily by
corporate america).. And, 32 and 64 bit hardware exists, if a bit pricy...
But, if I were undertaking this project, I would consider breaking the
 received audio bandpass into two or more separate slices and feeding each
slice to its own 16 bit ( less expensive) AD / DA.  For arguments sake, 2 or
3 MFJ DSP units in band pass mode, feeding an equal number of AD units should
work (? or given enough bandwidth, pick the digital sigs out of the MFJ's and
reinsert directly into MFJ's at the remote site and skip the external AD/DA
converters?)...The digital bit strings can be multiplexed onto 1 phone line
(or a phone line for each 'sub audio band' , if necessary)  -  {Ma Bell does
this all day long and there must be 'surplus'  ;-)  hardware available to
those in the know} - and squirted to the remote site, demultiplexed and fed
to the DA unit...It is an intriguing problem...
The fact that we are discussing it on this forum means that
a. It is technologically feasible
b. It is within the means of some contesters
c. Who says that some parts of it are not being quietly done already?

Cheers ... Denny  - K8DO@aol.com