VHF contest score rumors

Subject: VHF contest score rumors
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Wed Jun 14 18:14:34 1995
Here is the first pass.
Please send additions and corrections to me :  geoiii@bga.com

This does not include the band breakdowns - I am working on them.
(too many bands)

Rover
-----
WB9AJZ     ?   ? 35,965
K9JK     514 298 20,465 12g
ND3F     513 251 20,100 12g
K0DAS      ?   ?  7,714
N1QVE     99  37  2,057
W8CAR     27  ??    136  4g 2m

QRP Portable
------------
KH6CP/1   350 114  71,478
NN9K/0    282 113  40,228
W9SZ       48  29   1,856

Single Op
---------
WA2TEO    952 232 304,000
K1RZ      768 219 233,000
WD8ISK    564 245 204,800
AA2UK     564 156 132,000
KN5S      577 220 126,940
K2UOP/8   455 168 116,300
WB2DNE    497 153 109,700
K1TR      594 141 107,500
W3ZZ      424 144  90,300
W5KFT     467 190  90,060 op. wb5vzl
K3ZO      524 129  67,500
AA7A      358 167  60,788
N5RZ      336 136  47,872
KE7GH     332 142  47,854
K8MR      324 106  41,234
K0BI      356 108  38,448
N6PYI     266 117  37,323
K9AKS/6   300 100  30,000
K8MFO     228  93  22,506
N7DB      220  93  21,483
K0GU      222  81  17,982 6m
KK5DK     164  83  15,355
K1FWF     243  53  12,876
K0VM      121  62  11,408
KC5LCK    130  68  10,200
KF6HI     134  69   9,246
KB1GW     141  23   3,243 6m
VE7GBA/3  112  19   2,128 2m
KD4QIO     42  27   1,242
NZ4K       41  19     779 6m
WB4IUX     20   9     180 6m

Limited Multi-op
----------------
K3MQH   1675 247  518,000
KB5IUA   580 217  136,927
N7CW/6   468 119   55,692
WD4ECK   204 109   25,615
KC7MJ    206 101   20,806
VE6JY    186  64   13,632

Multi-Multi
-----------
N2WK    1844 380 1,266,920
W2SZ/1  2148 333 1,148,517
W4IY    1133 247   364,000
W0UC/9   644 245   188,000
KD0DW    498 163   112,000
W3IP     582 154         ?
AA7NH    415 151    67,500
KA3DSE/6 418 136    56,848

--------

George - WB5VZL
geoiii@bga.com

From: Randy Thompson <k5zd@iconics.com> (Randy Thompson)
Subject: VHF Contest

Great to see all the VHF contest activity here on the reflector.  Appears
that the solar minimum is encouraging some HF types to try a new form of
contesting.  I really enjoy VHF -- I just don't want to invest in another
6 bands!  Plus I don't really have the technical expertise to handle
those Microwaves...

I enjoyed the VHF contest from home.  I use an 18 year old KLM Multi-2000
all mode rig which is tuned for the high end of 2m.  It is deaf at 144
Mhz.  An 80W brick really puts me in the high power category.

No 2m horizontal antennas, so I started experimenting.  Discovered that
my Cushcraft 40-2CD 2-ele 40m beam is my best performer!  Actually has
some pattern.  Peaks appear to be at 40 degrees from the pointed
direction.  The peaks are sharp as I could hear stations come up and
down many many S-units as I turned it.

Now for the score.  In about 4 hours of on and off operation, I managed a
new personal best of 53 QSOs and 11 grids.  Score of 583 points.  But I
had lots of fun.  Always a challenge to tune the band and try to find a
new station and then try to get him to hear me.

K3YTL had a great signal, but my best DX was KZ2S in FN20.  K2GAL in FM29
got a partial on my call during a short tropo opening Sat evening, but
couldn't get it all (he was running pretty fast).

VHF contesting with a poor set-up reminds me of when I first started out
in radio and contesting.  It is really fun to overcome obstacles, learn
new things, and just experiment!  Things that have been lost or become
jaded after years of serious competitive HF radio.  If you are suffering
from burn-out, try something new.  VHF doesn't have much static...

Randy Thompson, K5ZD
k5zd@iconics.com