KF3P IARU SO Mixed Score....

Subject: KF3P IARU SO Mixed Score....
From: N5RZ@aol.com (N5RZ@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 16:24:03 1995
KF3P sez:

Wish it were true, but at least 50% of the time it's one of the old veterans,
and usually within 2 seconds after the end of my transmission - and they're
usually loud which tells me a group of op's think a CQ Test CQ test de
.......... K, constitutes a QRL?

For years, guys griped about QRL? and insisted on di-dit dit instead.  It
seems the dudes doing the di-dit dit thing need to reciprocate with their
ears.   A quick "di-dah-dit" response almost is always ignored.  A long "R R
Freq QRL  Pse QSY" seems to be the only appropriate response to get the
interloper's attention, totally defeating the purpose of the di-dit dit
routine.

How to ask if freq is in use??  ---  CW:   "QRL?" WAIT and LISTEN  2 seconds
 QRL?  WAIT and LISTEN & tune a few Hz up & down AND LISTEN for  2 seconds
 then GO.

On phone:  Freq in use? wait AND LISTEN  2 seconds  Freq in use?  WAIT and
LISTEN - then GO for it.

I usually ask 3-4 times on phone over about a 6 second span, so if I land on
you, you didn't really want your frequency that bad.