DSP Choices

Subject: DSP Choices
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 12:56:04 1995
Hi Joe...
No comparisons here (except 1, later)  I have the MFJ DSP and it is useful.
 I feel it is worth the price... It is most useful for the digital modes for
me, especially RTTY... I have an OMNI VI and there is little to nothing the
DSP can add to the, already spectacular, filters in this rig on CW or SSB...
Plus, the heavy processing of the DSP can cause the audio to become quite
harsh and unpleasing - a characteristic of all DSP's....
The comparison is the heterodyne notch... The OMNI VI has one onboard...
Comparison between the two shows no difference - both work like magic, on up
to 4 carriers simultaneously...
DSP audio boxes are of marginal use in heavy contesting clatter -> IF the rig
has decent filtering...  also, in contesting, you need to be able to hear the
off frequency responses, to a certain degree....

Cheers  -   Denny