QRL?

Subject: QRL?
From: /G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk (/G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 21 10:03:46 1995

Couldn't resist it any longer. Here are my two pence worth.

K3ZO is an operator I respect and it is always worth listening to what he
says because you may learn something. So I have thought hard about
the QRL? question he raises. As far as I can recall I have never had
a frequency fight with Fred, and if you read his original posting it is
because he says he listens on the frequency for a few seconds before CQing.
I am concerned, however, that only part of this message will be remembered
and new contesters will be taught "it's ok to open up on a frequency without
asking QRL? first, because Fred Laun says so" and the result is going to be
plenty of nasty situations on the bands.

I have no doubt, you should listen on a 'clear' frequency for a few seconds
and then send QRL? twice, separated by a few seconds. If there is a station
already running on the frequency then he/she should respond even if it means
having to ask for fills from the station being worked afterwards. I don't
like having someone try to steal the frequency I am using so I shouldn't
do it to others.

In the major contests there seems already to be a trend towards doing away with
QRL? and just blasting away with a CQ. IMHO this is extremely poor operating
and a poor advertisement for contesting. I don't think K3ZO should lend any
legitimacy to the lids who blast away without checking the frequency first.

Dave G4BUO