V31DX Web Site for CQWW SSB

Subject: V31DX Web Site for CQWW SSB
From: jdowning@intelenet.net (jdowning@intelenet.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 11:58:28 1995
V31DX V31DX V31DX V31DX V31DX V31DX V31DX

The Cuba Libre Contest Club is at it again.  After a nice long chat with Bob,
KK6EK, who is managing the upcoming Easter Island project we decided that many
of his ideas regarding the integration of ham radio and the Net have
considerable merit...so we will shamelessly appropriate some of them for the
upcomming CQWW SSB Contest.  We will have a high bandwidth Web site set up
prior to the contest.  Bill, WA9L, the original Cuba Libre Contest Club
member, is supplying the site within his www.calsoft.com domain (check out his
site, his Web browser is serious stuff!).  Peter, VE3SUN/W6, author of QRATE
and inventor of the Magic Notch filter, another Cuba Libre Contester, is
authoring the site.  As we set up our station in Belize we'll upload pictures
of our location on the beach at Ambergris Caye, Belize.  Might even include a
few babe shots for KA9FOX!  During the contest we will upload our raw log
hourly to the Web site so you can check our progress and marvel at our Q rate
and guffaw at our lack of multipliers!

Last year we were seventh WW in points (just missed the box, shoot) but third
WW in Qs in the CQWW (Multi-Single).  For the last three years we have been
top NA score and second WW in the ARRL SSB (yeah, I know, it's not a REAL DX
contest.)  So we can run up a fair number of Qs.

We will also include a QSL request server at the site.  Just Cut and Paste
your log entry into the server and we'll send you a card.  We have many
thousands already and don't really want yours.  Our QSL manager does accept
donations so feel free to send green stamps.

We will post our URL and more details as we work them out.

Does this constitute some sort of backdoor approach to spotting?  I think not.
Could you check or logs for DX that we worked in the last hour to chase
yourself?  Yeah, but the DX probably called us!  What we are attempting to do
is combine some of the exitement of Contesting and the global nature of the
Web (call it computer DX) and add something to the technique and fine art of
DX contesting.  Automation of the QSL process is a start.

Your ideas?

Regards to all,

John N6YRU, Bill WA9L, Peter VE3SUN, and Vic KI6IM, the Cuba Libre Contest
Club