CAC, re ARRL-DX

Subject: CAC, re ARRL-DX
From: AA6KX@aol.com (AA6KX@aol.com)
Date: Sat Sep 9 04:07:30 1995
At the Contest Forum at Visalia last year, there was considerable discussion
regarding a rule change for the ARRL-DX contests.  This change would allow
contest expedition scores to count in club competition if the expedition
participants were otherwise qualified to count their scores for their clubs.
The sentiment expressed in the Forum, and I felt reflected by the CAC
representatives present, appeared to be strongly in favor of making a
recommendation to the Awards Committee in favor of this change.  Realize,
this change is not exactly breaking new territory; it would simply put the
ARRL club competition on the same footing as the CQ club competition.

A couple of months later, there was a poll taken here on the contest
reflector about this as well as several other changes under consideration.
 As I recall, that poll was conducted by CAC representatives, if not
officially sponsored by the CAC itself.

Since that time, I have heard nothing and seen nothing in print about any
decisions the CAC may have reached on these issues.  It is now September, and
the December issue of QST (which is the issue that contains the announcement
of the ARRL DX contests) will be put to bed in a matter of weeks.  My crude
estimate is that any changes to be made would have to be completed in a
maximum of seven weeks from now.  In other words, it appears to me to be
extremely unlikely that anything is going to happen in time for this year's
contests.

During the same time period, the Scarborough Reef operation took place, the
DXAC reviewed the documentation in the application for new-country status,
and it made a recommendation.  In fact, I believe the DXAC made several
recommendations there as well as reaching some sort of decision on Pratas
Island.  The DXers may not like those decisions, and in fact some of them are
absolutely apoplectic about it all, but at least the DXAC did something.  In
contrast, it appears to me that the CAC has become so cautious since the VHF
Rover debates that it won't make decisions.  Or, if there is any action
taking place there isn't much publicity given to the results.  Am I missing
something here, or do others sense the same lethargy on the part of the CAC?

Bruce Sawyer, AA6KX