KC5NWX CW Sprint Results

Subject: KC5NWX CW Sprint Results
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com (PaulKB8N@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 18:13:37 1995
In a message dated 95-09-10 10:08:41 EDT, JSTEINMAN@AOL.COM writes:

>Yes, that's right, NO MORE LOW POWER SPRINTS for me!!!

Thank God, Jeff, you've beaten the rest of us low-power guys badly enough,
even with all your self-imposed limitations!
Congrats!!!  Paul, KB8N

From: James White <0006492564@mcimail.com> (James White)
Subject: Contests, not to be treated as whim!

....why the nerve of those guys getting on with something other than their
own true nicknames, I never!

I am afraid AB6FO is missing out on one very important spinoff of
contesting, it is an opportunity to test the fully sharpened operator's
skills. The idea that you shouldn't have to try hard to copy the exchange is
what draws a lot of flack from the non-contest ham community....."what's the
point in it if you know he will send 5NN FLA or G4BUO is going to just send
5NNA4 each and every qso????"

The first time I did the unusual name thing it was for this purpose that I
did it, and to some extent still do it! Is the other guy really listening /
copying what I am sending? - I will never show up on some supercheckpartial
of sprint names correctly....I was once told I should use Sybil as I
obviously had multiple personalities....since I am not one of the Mad River
gang on a barbeque, it is a certainty that I will not use a woman's name.

The idea of having a bunch of the "elite", as AB6FO refers to the usual top
ten guys, try it with handicaps of long calls (never bothered WN4KKN), low
power (didn't keep AC1O from winning the ten meter contest) and no computers
(N6KT keeps wiinning CQWW SSB with handlogging) has when this Sprint's dust
settles may prove what many have been trying to prove for a long time:

        It is the operator that wins the contest (otherwise only rich guys
with mega hardware would win - some of them are still futily trying).

Yes, second radios, short calls, computers and full power enhance our
scores, but once and for all (?) we may have finally proven that the
operator (who is the competitor) is the key. That is the reason a lot of
guys contest, every contest they do the same thing: compete with their
toughest adversary-themselves...and every contest has the same outcome in
that always, they win.

This team was a great idea, Tree. I have to admit you really made me laugh
last night when you missed my name and guessed it was AESOP! That, sir...is
a world class Sprint name - for someone to successfully guess that would be
impossibile!

                                73, Soup   (yes, I had the linear on)

                                       Jim  ZX          k1zx@mcimail.com