KB8N Sprint Results/Station Info

Subject: KB8N Sprint Results/Station Info
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com (PaulKB8N@aol.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 19:12:07 1995
My efforts to continuously improve my Sprint score took a side step this
time.  I concentrated on rate, thinking that the mults would follow.  Wrong.
 I exceeded my previous score by only 300 points despite 30 more Qs.  I've
included some technical details on my station, if anyone is interested in
steps I've taken to make a modest station competitive.
KB8N (MRRC Team #2) Summary:
Score:  221@37 for 8177 points

Transceivers:  Corsair I and Omni A  both 100W

Antennas:  80M Inv Vee, apex at 32'
                 40M Inv Vee x2, apexes at 26' and 24' respectively
                 20M Vertical Dipole, hung from tree

I'm in a covenant restricted neighborhood, so antennas are low, using fine
wire (#22 and #28), and are all fed with slotted 300 Ohm twinlead.  This
neighborhood turned out to be the only acceptable alternative in considering
the kids' (I have 4) school needs.

Technical details of the station:  This basic setup has won certificates in
several major contests, despite its age.  Running low power with modest
antennas has required the station to be efficient and flexible.

Both transceivers share the same LMO design, so I can control the frequency
of one or both simultaneously with the same tuning knob.  This makes strereo
dual-band search and pounce a snap!

Bandswitching is completely a one knob operation for both radios.  As
mentioned, I have four antennas, and have built four five-band tuners that
bandswitch automatically (using relays) with either transceiver.  For each
transceiver, I have the choice of two antennas on all five bands. ( I have to
do manual switching to bring the 160M antenna on line.)  SWR is preadjusted
to 1:1 on all bands and rarely has to be tweaked.

The VOX relay output from radio one mutes radio two and vice-versa, although
I can run both radios wide open into separate antennas with no fratricide
because of the bandpass filter effect of the tuners and a  bullet-proof front
end on both radios.

My two radio switchbox is designed for convenient switching between radios.
 The box has a five position switch, with the center position for stereo
reception-only from both radios. Rotating one position to the left chooses
radio one (in both earphones), keying and primary antenna.  Rotating one more
position to the left chooses radio one, secondary antenna.  Same thing for
radio two on the right hand side of center.  In the same box is a memory
keyer, and audio peaking filters for each radio.

Limitations:  Aside from antennas, the AGC in the early TenTec radios leaves
a lot to be desired.  I significantly modified the Omni AGC and audio
filtering, but it still is marginal.    Because of my present antenna
situation, I find myself making three calls to make one search and pounce
QSO.  Despite not being particularily loud, I do seem to be able to work
almost everything I hear, but the competition usually gets them first.

Plans: I should leave Texas this Spring.  Hope to get back to Europe, or at
least get moved to the East Coast, according to the needs of the Air Force.
 Someday, I'll retire and find a spot where I can put up some real antennas
(with real #14 wire!) and buy some radios that I won't have to pack in a box
and move every two years.  Thanks to all for your good ears.  As they say
about pro basketball...I love this sport!!!!!      Paul, KB8N