Aging contesters

Subject: Aging contesters
From: genunn@mmm.com (genunn@mmm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 23:13:07 1995
Hi all,

Matt, AA7BG wrote

(stations with CK 94 or 95)
> KC5FQZ-LA     AC6NS-SCV       N2QIP-ENY       KB1BQX-EMA
> KB2QWO-NNJ    KC7KFD-WWA      KG8QT-MI        AA0XZ-MO
> KC5OJY-NTX    KC5OYM-WTX      KE4ZYX-VA       AC6GO-SCV
> KB2USV-ENY    N9YIQ-WI        KC7BNH-NV       KB0LOB-MN
> KG8PE-MI
>
> Above all nice to work you and thanks for the Q.

You are very welcome.  Thank you and everyone else that put up
with my inexperienced operation.  This was my first major contest -
what a blast!

Many took the time to encourage me during the test.  Comments such
as "FB CK 95" were common and very welcome.  However, I was one who
had no clue what PREC? meant.

I started out searching and pouncing (if you call listening for
3 exchanges to make SURE I had it right "pouncing") but I got
better at getting it right the first time and eventually
"brave" enough to stake out a spot and try a run.  My best hourly
rate was around 40.  I'm sure that's idling along for
you "old hands," but I felt like I had a tiger by the tail!  It
was amazing how quickly this contest helped my code speed.
Equally amazing was the excitment when the Q's were coming in as
fast as I could log them!!

AE6Y's CQP logging program with a keyer interface was terrific.
I would not have had half as many Q's if I'd been logging manually.

I ended up claiming:
Prec   Score   QSO's    Sections    Hours
 A     37088   304         61       17:09

My equipment is an ICOM IC-701 with a dipole up 20' and a longwire
up 15'.

I probably won't work the phone SS.  I only have 3 phone QSO's since
getting licensed in April.  But, look for me next year on SS and most
any other CW test!

Thanks again and 73!
Greg AA0XZ
--