N5RZ SSB Sweepstakes

Subject: N5RZ SSB Sweepstakes
From: N5RZ@aol.com (N5RZ@aol.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 18:57:10 1995
1995 SSB ARRL Sweepstakes

N5RZ  Single Opr  High Power   Section:  West Texas   24 hours

Band    QSO

160SSB      0   nope
80SSB        0  nope - no antenna
40SSB     612   surprising
20SSB     810   it's twenty
15SSB      949  when 10M is shot,  no meters like 15 meters
10SSB       0   nothing
-       -

total   2371 / 77sections

Final Score = 364,826 points

    FT1000D/AL1200   KT34XA@75' & stacked TH6DXX's  105'/ 60'   power divded
                                402CD@112' &  40M rotary dipole @ 82'  power
divided

I thought seriously about connecting up my wire vertical for 75M, but came to
my
senses & blew it off.  If I have to go to 75M, I'm losing.  If 40 goes long,
that's it.
Was glad to hear 10M wide open Saturday morning (to NE USA), but nothing

at all during the contest.  Fifteen sounded real wierd about 2030Z, so (sigh)
figured I'd better go to 20 & dig out a hole to start.  At 2100Z, the
frequency caves in  --  3 qsos in 3 minutes & struggling  -  oooops  up to 15
& finish with a personal best 179 in
first hour , and second personal best 164 in second hour.  WHEW!!  15
cratered shortly after 23Z, so on to 20M until 0230Z, when I was forced to go
to the 40M bloodbath.
Was able to maintain a reasonable rate, but things really picked up about
0500Z with a 128 hour.  Things petered out about 07Z & went to chase line
noise & get some sleep at 0730Z with 1251 Q's & still needing VE1 & VE4.  Off
for 4:48.
Back on at 1218Z  -  40M not too bad, but anxious to move up.  One hour on 40
then
one hour on 20 fighting the Sunday Morning windbag nets.  Got VE9KM for a
sweep at 1326Z. Finally went up to a slowly opening 15M at 1437Z to be
greeted with a number of  puny weak sigs, but perfectly readable.  The band
then opened great for several hours.  A few tries on ten netted nothing, so
continued to milk 15M until it dried up at 2205Z.
After a 30 minute break, it was on to 20M for three surprisingly good hours.
Used only one radio & no voice keyer, which was obvious the last 6 hours to
those who heard my squeaky voice.  CQ CQ CQ CQ...
Thanks to all for the contacts.  I guess sitting out CW really fired me up.
Condx helped too!

Editorial:  If my records are correct, it appears the top 5 finishers: (N5RZ
 N2IC  K6LL KI3V/7  & AA5BL)  were all operating their own stations.  Looks
like the "guest op" syndrome some of the boys are whining about didn't apply
this year!!!

Disclaimer:  West Texas is not geographically disadvantaged in SS, and may be
   the best place to be for this one.

  HOUR   40SSB   20SSB   15SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----         ------       ------        ------        -----
        -----
   21            0          3         176          179         179   best
hour 2103-2202Z = 184
   22            0          0         164          164         343

   23            0       129          13          142         485

    0             0       114           0           114         599

    1             0        99            0            99         698

    2           59        39            0            98         796

    3           90         0             0            90         886

    4          101        0             0           101        987

    5          128        0             0           128      1115

    6          104        0             0           104      1219

    7            32        0            0              32      1251    OFF:
 0730Z
    8             0         0            0               0      1251
    9             0         0            0               0      1251

   10            0         0            0               0       1251

   11            0         0            0               0      1251
   12          54         0            0              54     1305    ON:
  1218Z
   13          28        57            0             85      1390   SWEEP
(VE9KM)  1326Z
   14            0        55          32             87      1477
   15            0         0           73             73      1550
   16            0         0           93             93      1643
   17            0         0           71             71      1714
   18            0         0           91             91      1805
   19            0         0           70             70       1875
   20            0         0           76             76       1951
   21            0         0           85             85       2036
   22            0        39            5             44      2080    off:
2205-2236
   23            0        99            0             99      2179

    0             0      104            0           104       2283
    1             3        72            0            75        2358
    2           13         0             0            13        2371
      OFF:  0218Z

  TOTAL     612       810       949

W1  233      KP2   4    MAR 3
W2  300       KP4   5   VE2 11
W3  215      PAC   5    VE3 41
W4  331      KL7   5    VE4  2
W5  178                             VE5  6
W6  260                       VE6 16
W7  219                       VE7 15
W8  218                VE8/VY1  2
W9  149