The Contest Computer

Subject: The Contest Computer
From: W3MM@aol.com (W3MM@aol.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 00:27:55 1995
  Hello fellow contesters.  I have read many messages concerning receivers,
antennas, linear amplifiers, etc. that are used to generate your contest
score.
The one thing that I notice is that there complaints such as "I ran out of
RAM"
etc. No one is addressing the problem of the Contest Computer.
  It is obvious that there are many contesters who have only one computer.
The
one computer may have to do many duties such as : 1: be the Contest Computer,
2: be the family computer,  3: be the business computer, etc. The
possibilities
are endless. What I am about to describe is a method to turn your single
computer into any number of computers that you want to have. Those of you
who work for the government and do classified work on a computer know about
what I am about to describe: That is a device that makes your hard drive
removable
from the front of the computer, i.e. you don't have to tear the computer
apart to
remove the drive. Each different hard drive that you have can give your
computer
a unique personalty, i.e.
  1. The Contest Drive. A DOS only drive with a carefully configured
CONFIG.SYS
and AUTOEXEC.BAT coupled with a screaming memory manager and your
favorite contest logging software.
  2. The Family Drive which probably has Windows and the games for the kids
and Mom's word processor and again a screaming memory manager.
  3. I call this the Test Drive. As Frank, W3LPL, commented to me on one
occasion
"I tested it on my test computer". Well with a Test Drive you can join the
elite
group of individuals who have a test computer to try out new software or new
operating systems without trashing the many hours you invested in getting the
family drive to work without crashing.
  OK enough said, here is what it is: It is a bracket that fits into a bay
that is the
size of a 5.25" floppy drive. The unit has a "Cartridge" that holds the hard
drive
and the cartridge plugs into the bracket and has mating connectors. What you
need to buy is the bracket which comes with one cartridge. Additional
cartridges
are available and you need a cartridge for each hard drive.
  OK Here is the cheapest place to buy this stuff: Dirt Cheap  Drives,
phone 800-786-1170. The product is described in their add as Removable Drive
Brackets. Price is $79 for IDE drives. Higher price for SCSI drives. The
additional
"Cartridges" for IDE drives are $39.
  The product is a DATA PORT-V and is imported by JNL Computer Products. I
have installed this product in 3 computers and it works. The "Bracket" has a
cooling fan built into it and that can only help extending the life of your
computer.
  I mentioned the "screaming memory manager".  I use Netroom3. I have used
QEMM in the past but it can't even approach the performance of Netroom3. I am

using Netroom3 on 3 computers including the W3MM PacketCluster Node. I
use CT as my contest logging program. Here is what I see with CT:
1. P5 Pentium with 32 meg of RAM: CT says room for 185000 more qso
2. 486-66VESA with 16 meg RAM: CT says room for 85000 more qso
3. 486-66VESA with 8 meg RAM: CT says room for 30000 more qso
  Netroom3 is available from Helix software, Phone 800-451-0551
price is $100 plus shipping.
  One more comment on Netroom3. I recomended this product to my good friend
Ron, W3HXO and he bought it. Now to quote Frank, W3LPL, "Ron is the
Engineer's
engineer." Well Ron does not buy anything that does not have a money back
guarantee. Ron  flogged, tweaked, tinkered, and in general beat Netroom3
to death. He did not take it back--he said this is a keeper.
  OK Here is some more info. In the past 4 weeks hard drive prices have dived
significantly. Also in the past two weeks RAM prices have taken a nose dive.
W3HXO says that this is probably due to supply equals demand.
 Well this has become a lenghty post, but it is not complete. If there is
sufficient
interest I will post on the additional important info for the Contest
Computer.
The posts would be as follows:
  1: The hard drive and the system BIOS
  2: The Monitor and the Video card. (The part on the video card should be
interesting
to all including PacketCluster sysops)
  3: The Keyboard (This will let a cat out of the bag that certain FRC guys
such as
K3WW, K2WK, and K2SG have been using since I put them onto what I consider
a superior keyboard).

     Vy 73 de Dave, W3MM     w3mm@aol.com
  .