SS SSB score

Subject: SS SSB score
From: ad274@lafn.org (Randy Powell)
Date: Fri Dec 1 07:47:32 1995

Okay, I'm hooked.  My first Sweepstakes.

           ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995

    Call: NZ6N       Section:  LAX
    Mode: SSB       Category: Single Unlimited

    Exchange: NR   A NZ6N 66 LAX

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS
      160        0        0        -
       80        1        2        -
       40      117      234        -
       20       95      190        -
       15       57      114        -
       10        0        0        -
     -----------------------------------
     Totals    270      540       77

               Score:  41,580

Power Out: 120 watts   Hours of operation: 12.3

Equipment:  TS-930s, KT34A, 40m inverted-Vee, CT V9.23

This is to certify that in this contest I have operated my transmitter
within the limitations of my license and have observed fully the rules
and regulations of the contest.

Randy Powell  NZ6N

Soapbox:

Thank you, WA6GDS, for raving about this contest -- y'all put on a
very satisfying event.  Was able to get on for 3 hours in SS CW &
12+ hours in SS SSB and my enjoyment increased with each ten
sections worked.  This is a major amount of time on the air for
me considering my shack is basically in my living room next to my
5- and 10-yr old's computer & next door to our bedroom.  Talk
about getting along with the YF!  Since my ant farm at this point
consists of a tribander at 50' and I learned from SS CW that you
can't do it without 40m, and working 40m by loading up a KT34A is
rather inelegant to say nothing of the miniscule ERP, I pointed
the yagi at 30 degrees and sling-shot a line over the boom and
pulled up a 40m inverted-Vee so my neighbor could discover new RFI
in her bullet-proof alarm system since the Vee was so close to her
house.  Wait 'til I work up the gumption to switch on the 1.5KW.
It did get me on 40m where I made the most contacts.  Next year
the shack & garage will be built (we have been "waived" ahead by
the state Coastal Commission, building "code" is not even remotely
fun to learn) and I'll put a trapped half-sloper back up or an
HFV-2 up on top of it for some better results.  If anyone out
there has a manual for the HFV-2 who wouldn't mind faxing it to
me, please let me know by email to ad274@lafn.org (LAFN not 1AFN).
I'm collecting radial schemes.

SS is pure fun.  After my portable Mendocino County CQWW CW effort
this past weekend, SS sounded friendlier (and more copiable) to
this rookie contester.  And getting a sweep in my first attempt
goes down like a piece of homemade pecan pie.  I had great fun
running and S&P-ing, and learning which sections I need to nail
down on 40m by Saturday night so they won't be impossible on
Sunday.  Made several successful calls for needed sections (WVA,
BC??) just a few kcs up from where they had S&P-ed last.  I
started getting excited Sunday afternoon when I nailed  ID & DE to
attain 70 sections and realized I had a shot at a rookie sweep.
High point was when the 75th(MS) & 76th(SC) sections needed called
me on my run freq. saying they'd "heard" I needed 'em.  I tell ya,
kvetching works!  77th section needed was SDG just south of here
180 miles so down I went to 75m, loaded up my 40m inverted-Vee and
broke in on a rag-chewer in SDG section for the sweep.  My son,
KE6MAF, while playing Sim-Tower -next to me!- kept asking, "How
many left?  Are they tough ones?"  It was fun to share the
excitement with him.

73,
Randy  NZ6N
ad274@lafn.org