CAC Address?/160 DX window

Subject: CAC Address?/160 DX window
From: albraun@socketis.net (albraun@socketis.net)
Date: Mon Dec 4 04:30:55 1995
k8bl@en.com wrote:
>So, are you saying I should be disqualified?  I screwed up
>and quickly moved when I found out my error.  Perhaps, the
>better idea would be to have the Contest Sponsor send a
>notice to the offender when they submit their log and inform
>them offically of the error. The notice could say that future
>violations will mean DQ'n since they are now on record as a
>known offender.  Over a couple years, this could get things
>cleaned up fairly well, except for blunderers like myself
>who you'll never clean out totally.
>From what I saw later in the Contest, the major offenders are
>the Big Gun stations who may feel they're above rules they
>don't agree with or are too important to be trifled with.

1st of all, you're not on my "bad boys" list...I spent > 90% of
my time CQing (well above or below the window!) & so only a few
people are on my list, and nearly all of them are, as you say,
"big guns" who should and almost certainly do know better.  The
published rules have said for years that CQing in the window
was grounds for disqualification (the fact that the "official"
rules were not published this year complicates things a little,
but not that much).  I think the people who should be
disqualified, and I think it should start this year, are ones
who are reported by a significant number of folks who heard
them, and only in cases where the complainers provided to the
contest sponsors sufficient data (such as exact frequency &
time) to show that the complaint wasn't just being made up by
a jealous competitor.

A corollary of the DX window rule, one which I observed &
which should be observed by all S & P stations, is DO NOT WORK
STATIONS WHO ARE VIOLATING THIS RULE!!!!!  If no one answers
them, they'll soon move on.

In years of high sunspot activity when the band is in bad shape
anyway, the DX window isn't such a big deal.  But when sunspots
are down and the band is in world-class condition, as it has
been the last few weeks, this issue becomes VERY important,
which is why I think now is the time to deal with it.  If that
means disqualifying a few of the big boys, so be it.  If the
sponsors make a few high profile public examples, the problem
will go away in a hurry.

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *