Attracting new blood

Subject: Attracting new blood
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 8 18:54:18 1995
A column for new comers in a niche magazine such as NCJ or the new CQ Contest
is nice... warm and fuzzy and makes you feel good... But as far as being
useful,  it ranks right up there with mammary appendages on a male
porcine....
Newcomers to contesting may find an entry level column helpful... But, if
they are reading it, it is because they are already interested, and I
strongly doubt that the presence or absence of that column will make or break
them as contestors... In fact, that column, needs to be in the general
circulation magazine to troll for new talent, not squirreled away in the
specialty publication...
By the time they develop in interest in reading a contesting magazine, they
are already past the "See Spot Run JA's at Sunrise" stage...
The truly new hams we need to fish among are not reading these niche
magazines, and probably don't even know, or care, that the magazines exist...
It requires us to do the fishing, to identify the prospective contestor and
to actively invite them to contest with us... Then out of the few who bite,
only a few percent will actually show up the second time, develop an
interest, and ask to be invited back... These are the ones that we need to
press back issues of the magazines upon...<here is where the newcomer columns
might help...>

The efforts to get active contestors to sign up on your list and attract
newer hams is also good... but, it is neither easy, nor fun (at first).... A
case in point is my contest station...  brand new and still more incomplete
than complete... Out of a local population of about a hundred hams I found 6
who showed interest and were invited to participate in ww cw... one showed up
once for a few hours and one showed up twice... this second one has asked to
be invited back, and shows the makings of a contestor....he has even asked to
help with the grunt work!.. will wonders never cease...

The flip side of this, is that it cost me hundreds of q's to let them
operate... their rate capability, at this stage, is low... BUT... the only
way to improve that is to show them how for an hour, then let them operate
<being available, but only if asked> to gain experience and skills... at the
cost of low rates and scores....There is also a strong undercurrent of self
selection here...   In volunteering my station I have marked myself as an
also ran....  The usual top five station is not going to accept slipping down
for any reason, and the usual second tier station is too busy trying to move
up to accept a handicap.... so, who is left?...

I see the comment that not many new hams have taken advantage of the list of
volunteer contest stations... Well, how will new hams know these
opportunities exist... By reading NCJ/CQ Contest?... <oink, oink >
OK, I will finally give my answer to the question asked by W9XE... how do we
attract more newcomers?...
Same answer as the old saw, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"... <of course,
you know this one... all together now>...   Practice, Practice, Practice....

More succinctly, we need to continue to troll the clubs, and the local packet
bbs, and the local repeaters looking for new talent... invite them out for a
contest and accept the fact that actually letting them operate means a hit on
the rate/score...  The magazines can't do the job of showing them that
contesting is a blast, right up there with motorcycles, sky diving, and
contact karate... except, you live to do it again :)

Denny   k8do@aol.com