Equipement Code in Contest Results

Subject: Equipement Code in Contest Results
From: /G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk (/G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 13 08:30:04 1995

GM4BAP wrote:

>might be an idea to try adding some kind of code to each score to indicate
>the gear used. eg:
>
>        4Y (4-el Yagi); 4Y4 (4x4-elYagi); 4Q (4-el Quad)
>        1 (at 10ft)... 19 (at 190ft)
>        Q (QRP); B (barefoot 100W); H (half-gallon, 500W); F (full power 1.5kW
>
>        something like: 40m: 5102/1975/26/83 - 3Y/120/F
>
>        The RSGB tried something like this but seems to have given up. Too
>much hard work? If it's part of the "declaration" it's no great hassle.

No we haven't given up. The equipment coding on contest results is a
four-character code (because space for contest results is very tight)
with the following meaning:

First character: a numeric indicating power
0     0 - 1W
1     1 - 5W
2     6 - 20W
3     21 - 100W
4     101 - 400W

Second character: a letter indicating antenna type
C  Centre-fed (dipole, doublet, G5RV etc)
G  Ground Plane or Vertical
Y  Yagi
Q  Quad or Loop
W  Wire (any other type)

Third character: number of antenna elements.

Fourth character: a digit indicating height of antenna
0   0 - 9ft
1   10 - 19ft
8   80 - 89ft
9   90ft or above

The idea was mainly aimed at the UK section of our contests. There would
continue to be one UK listing but within that, people could see how they
scored compared with others using a similar setup. A description of
equipment and antennas is not REQUIRED on the cover sheet so the problem
is that if insufficient entrants give their details, it isn't worth printing
the equipment code in the results.

Dave G4BUO

From: steven@zianet.com (Steve Nace KN5H) (Steve Nace KN5H)
Subject: New Categories - Why not a new contest?

beaton@wintermute.co.uk (Alastair Beaton) writes:

>Hi folks,
>
>        Instead of introducing ever-less-meaningful contest categories, it
>might be an idea to try adding some kind of code to each score to indicate
>the gear used. eg:
>
>        4Y (4-el Yagi); 4Y4 (4x4-elYagi); 4Q (4-el Quad)
>        1 (at 10ft)... 19 (at 190ft)
>        Q (QRP); B (barefoot 100W); H (half-gallon, 500W); F (full power 1.5kW)
>
>        something like: 40m: 5102/1975/26/83 - 3Y/120/F
>
>        The RSGB tried something like this but seems to have given up. Too
>much hard work? If it's part of the "declaration" it's no great hassle.

These are great ideas. Here is another.

Did you ever wonder what Sweepstakes would be like if you could work the guy
6 times? In my opinion, that would really be a contest. How about if the
Sweepstakes exchange was changed to something shorter. Repeating that
exchange 2000 times is a chore.
Did you find yourself screaming "59 New Mexico (insert ur QTH here), give me
your call again PLEASE" over and over last weekend during the 10 meter
contest? Is "59" totally useless? Probally. Throw in something like your
station setup (see above).

What does it really take to put on a new "super contest"? Would DX count?
Phone or CW or both? How about the WARC bands? Do the NAQPs & RadioSports
fulfill this super contest desire? Are there too many contests? Or are there
just too many categories? Perhaps all the log checkers out there could
provide info on what a nightmare it would be to sponsor ANOTHER contest.

Well, get to the point.

Maybe could CQ Magazine invent a Stateside/Sweepstakes type contest. Did I
just insult the entire DX population? I bet the ARRL has enough to do
without inventing more contests and (perhaps) more controversy.

Well, maybe someone will step up and sponsor something new. My ramblings
were just
a result of reading lots of posts about what seems to be a very difficult issue,
how to keep contesting exciting.

Tnx for the B-width.  As always, summary if interest exists.

73 de Hose   KN5H