DIPOLE VS. VERTICAL

Subject: DIPOLE VS. VERTICAL
From: PPICKENS@cris.com (PPICKENS@cris.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 10:47:34 1995
I am currently using a G5RV dipole and thinking about adding other dipoles or a
multi-band vertical to my collection. I am looking for other hams advise on
which should I do.

I enjoy using my G5RV for multi-band use with a tuner but most of the signal is
being taken by the tuner to get the swr within acceptable range. I have thought
about setting up individual dipole's for the most used bands but lack the space
so my best option is a multi-band vertical.

Which is the best the dipole or vertical? I understand that verticals are noisy
and because of the low radiation angle do not do well on local states areas.

If I was to chose a vertical, which one would be the one to get? A GAP,
Butternut, Cushcraft, Telex-Hygain or etc.?

I know that beams would be the way to go but money presently stops me from
putting up a tower with beams. At least with a vertical I would be putting most
of the power outside on the antenna and not inside on the tuner which I am
currently doing with the G5RV.

Thanks for any input.

73's