'Twas the night before Contest...

Subject: 'Twas the night before Contest...
From: jnichols@ednet1.osl.or.gov (John D. Nicholson)
Date: Tue Dec 19 14:33:03 1995

A little holiday cheer - Enjoy!

-- 'Twas the night before Contest! -- K7FD

'Twas the night before Contest
and all through the house,
not a keyboard was stirring,
not even a mouse.

The antennas hung by their masts in despair
with hopes that big signals soon would be there.
And the op's were nestled all snug in their beds,
while visions of DX danced in their heads.

Then at 00:00 UTC there rose such a clatter!
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter!
And what to my wondering eyes should appear,
but a Jolly Old Fellow -- sending code loud and clear!

His fingers glowed with experience so rare,
he turned out great code with a brass pounders flair.
More rapid than bullets -- dots and dashes they came,
and he pounded and clicked and called them by name:

On Twenty! On Frequency! On Zero Beat!
On Kenwood! On ICOM! On QSO's complete!

His eyes glazed over, fingers nimble and lean
from weekends and nights -- his CW was mean!
A wink of his eye and twist of his head
soon gave me to know his score was ahead.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work
turning carrier into code, then turned with a jerk,
and laying his finger upon the brass key
he smiled and logged another -- QSO 923!

The QRM all faded; the bands were depleted.
The runs were gone and last exchanges completed.
He made each contact and waited for the final bell
with nary a bend, and all had gone well.

The contest was finished, another effort concluded,
and the log's last changes were even included.
And he exclaimed with a laugh and good cheer
"Maybe not this time, but wait 'til next year!"

73 and Happy Holidays! John, K7FD