The Contest Computer (Cereal Ports by one Snapped puppy)

Subject: The Contest Computer (Cereal Ports by one Snapped puppy)
From: W3MM@aol.com (W3MM@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 12:13:59 1995
All right!  Let us get on with it!   CT ver 9 has mouse support. OK so
what?  Well a mouse requires a serial port.  No big deal, I have a bus
mouse. Well a bus mouse needs an IRQ!  Yeah but I need 2 serial
ports!  The bus mouse wins!  Well this is not really true.  The bus
mouse needs a slot. A what?  Yes a slot, the socket on the mother-
board that you plug a card into.  Which came first, the IRQ or the
slot?

Let us discuss the slot question first.  If you have a 386 or 486 computer
you may have as many as 8 ISA slots.  If you have one of the new P5
computers then you may have 4 or only 3 ISA slots!  Are slots more
valuable than IRQ's?  That depends on your state of mind at any
given moment.   I do not like to have to tear a computer apart before
a contest and configure it for contest mode operation.  I prefer to have
the computer guts configured for contest mode all the time and make
configuration changes that are external to the computer.

Let us take a look at my P5-100.  The mother board was
manufactured by Intel and the board has 3 ISA slots.  The one
nice thing about these new boards is that the mother board has
a PS/2 style mouse socket mounted on the board and the mouse
uses IRQ 12.  The mouse is not using a valuable serial port.
In slot 1 is a Colorado Tape accelerator card for the tape back-up
unit.  If you do not have tape back-up, then I presume that you
like living on the edge.  In slot 2 is the K1EA DVP board. In slot
3 is the 4 PORT serial card.  That got your attention!  A word of
warning on 4 port serial cards.  There very good cards available
and there are poor cards out there.  You can't tell the difference
by the label. They all seem to make the same claims.  The only
way to tell is by actually installing the card in radically different
computers and in different configurations.  I know, I have a card
which is a bummer and I also have a winner.  There will be a
discussion devoted to the 4 port card.

Let us take a look at the port requirements for different station
layouts.
1) You don't have a computer controlled radio and there are no
    packetcluster nodes available to you.  In this case you have
    the mouse connected to a serial port and you will use the
                                     computer to log your contacts and key
the radio. You still
    have a free serial port.
2) Same as above but you lost your mind and went out and
    bought a computer controlled radio. The radio is going to require
    that free serial port so the computer and radio can chat with
    each other.  Well you just ran out of serial ports.
3) Same as 2 but you want to get the packet TNC talking with
    the computer so you can get the DX spots. Well you are going
    to need a 3rd serial port.
4) Same as 3 but you want to link the computer to a second
    computer and radio for a multi-single or a small multi-multi effort.
    Now you need 4 serial ports!

Now it is time for a break and I must return to the basement to
reassemble the two computers that are in pieces due to yesterdays
rigorous testing of a couple of 4 port cards.

VY 73 de Dave  W3MM  w3mm@aol.com