CN2PK cqww cw soab lp score

Subject: CN2PK cqww cw soab lp score
From: KAAR@sara.cc.utu.fi (KAAR@sara.cc.utu.fi)
Date: Thu Dec 21 11:02:11 1995
CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST CW 1995

call:  CN2PK (OH6KIT), Zone 33 Morocco
class: Single operator all band, low power (100 w)

BAND     QSO  QSO PTS  PTS/QSO  ZONES  COUNTRIES
160        3        7     2.33      2       3
 80      395     1175     2.97     13      55
 40     1068     3183     2.98     20      75
 20      764     2282     2.99     20      73
 15      810     2416     2.98     23      75
 10       28       64     2.29     13      20
Totals  3068     9127     2.97     91     301  =>3,577,784 p

Equipment:
Transceiver: IC 725
Antennas: Butternut HF6V, Cushcraft A4S(no rotator)
Computer: 386SX laptop with CT 9.x software

QSL-address:         OH1KIT
                     Pekka Kaar
                     Kerttulinkatu 4 f 36
                     FIN-20500  Turku
                     Finland

Sorry for very late posting.

I got my CN-licence 10 days before the contest. Luckily got a cheap tourist
flight to Agadir, Morocco at the Monday 20.11. I carried all the
equipment with me to Morocco - so made a one man contest pedition
(excluding the A4S which I sent with air cargo to Agadir). I had some
'minor' problems with Agadir customs - it took me 1.5 days to get my
equipment into country. Finally got my station ready at Friday
morning, 15 hours prior the contest. Hotel roofs are easy places to
build antennas - there were a lot of good structures for antenna
mounting and many helpful tourists. I had been very busy for four days
and no doubt I was very tired at the beginning of the contest.

During the contest conditions were OK on 80, 40, 20 and 15 meters.
Especially 40 m was very productive. Most of the 28 qsos on 10 m were
to Africa -only a couple of stations from EU and SA. In all bands most
of the qsos were to EU and NA. Could not reach Far East or Oceania (1
qso to ZL and one to XZ). Got only 3 qsos on 160 m - the lack of 160 m
antenna cost me many multipliers.

It is surprising how little conditions differ on higher bands (20,15
and 10 m) between Finland (up from 60 N degs) and Morocco (ca 35N
degs). The real difference arises on low bands (80 and 40 m) - from
southern latitudes you can work whatever you want with 100 watts and
small gp, and this can not be beaten from northern Europe, not even
with yagi antennas and high power.(For an interesting comparison: see
my cqww ssb high power summary at the end of this message).

Most of the time IC-725 performed satisfactorily. Major problems
occurred when pile-ups or noise got too high - the receiver fell down
and audio became severely disturbed (this was especially on 80 m).
HF6V performed OK. Did not get my A4S high enough above the hotel
roof, resulting HF6V performing most of the time better than A4S. The
station is not the critical factor affecting on the qso number: from a
dx location it is easy to make many qsos with small equipment - but it
is much harder to collect enough multipliers without proper antenna
set-up. For all the weaker openings and dx multipliers one would need
a station with higher antennas with rotator etc.

I had great time in Morocco as well as very nice contest. I would like
thank all the people who helped me before and during this pedition -
especially those more experienced peditioners who gave me their
advises during the autumn. Moroccan people were very kind and I'd
really like to return there to work an another contest. Anyone who
wants more information on operating from CN - please feel free to
contact me.

73's de Pekka CN2PK (OH6KIT)

see also...
CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  SSB -- 1995 OH6KIT
      Call: OH6KIT    Country:  Finland
      Mode: SSB       Category: Single Operator-High
                                     power
      160       54       59     1.09      6      34
       80      155      176     1.14     11      48
       40      235      374     1.59     14      51
       20     1049     2333     2.22     34      95
       15      724     1740     2.40     37     100
       10       53       70     1.32      7      21
     Totals   2270     4752     2.09    109     349  =>2,176,416
All reports sent were 599 15.
Equipment Description:
ICOM-761 + AL-1200
Antennas:160 - 1/4 slooper,80 - gp,40 - Cushcraft 40-2CD
20 - 5 ele monobander,15&10 6 ele monobanders

KAAR@UTU.FI
Pekka Käär, University of Turku, Department of Biology, Laboratory of Ecology
Home:Kerttulinkatu 4 F 36, FIN-20500 Turku. p.921-2331168(koti), 6335767(työ)
HAM RADIO: OH1KIT, OH6KIT, OH8NW