Mobile engine noise

Subject: Mobile engine noise
From: JKAHRS@delphi.com (JKAHRS@delphi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 21:38:46 1996
On 30-JAN-1996 23:38:13.4 k4sb said to JKAHRS
   > Well, I have finally decided to do a DXCC or so from the truck, but
   > am getting my plow cleaned by ignition noise. Rig is a TS-50 fed
   > directly off the battery. Noise level on the S meter about 1 to 1.5
   > with the engine off, and S 7-8 when on. (20 meters )Noise almost
   > disappears when the antenna is removed, so definitely getting it from
   > that source.
<snip>
   > Thanks, Ed

Ed,
I think your problem might be the electric fuel pump.  Try this.  Go out
first thing in the morning and turn your rig on.  Then turn your ignition
switch on but do not start the truck.  If you hear that hash in your rig,
it's your fuel pump.  Ford is FAMOUS for that problem and they DO have an
EMI suppressin kit for the problem.  The reason for first thing in the
morning is that the fuel pressure will have bled off during the night.

I do a lot of mobile work...worked all the counties mobile-to-mobile.  I run
a TS-50 in an Olds with no problem.  Tail pipe is grounded...un-grounded
acts as antenna.  Power leads are shielded.  Shields are grounded at the
battery and float a few inches from the rig.

Have fun.

73, Hank/K2UVG
jkahrs@delphi.com