160M Antennas

Subject: 160M Antennas
From: N6DX@aol.com (N6DX@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 18:47:50 1996
I keep hearing of people putting up invertel "L"s and dipoles for topband.  I
must question the logic.  An inverted L radiates more horizontal than
vertical and therefore radiates mostly straight up.  This is fine for
communication under 1500 Km but is a big compromise for longer haul.  Maybe
its because it hears well one assumes it transmits well, not so.  From the
center of europe 1500Km takes in 108 countries and 4 continents.  From my QTH
it includes 8 countries and one continent.  Several years ago we put up four
full size 160m antennas. The inverted L at 100', the sloper going down the
hill, and the 1/2 wave delta (opened up the 80m delta) all performed about
the same.  Howeve, when I switched to the 300' vertical suspended by a
balloon I literally has to turn down the volume as it was at least 3 S units
louder.  Keeping all the current in the vertical and reducing ground loss
works best.  This is why elevated ground plane verticals do so well.  For
those that don't have 150' towers dedicated to 160m there are some good
alternatives.  When I operated as A35DX I used a G5RV flat top with the
feedline twisted together and fed against ground with an antenna tuner.  I
was able to work W1BB who was water-weak.  Any dipole will do.  Use the
highest one and run the feedline straight down.  A good ground system is best
but a resonant counterpoise will do wonders.  I invite anyone not familiar
with 160m to try it this weekend during the CQ WW 160 contest.  I promise to
come back to even the weakest signals for a report.  The horizontal dipole
usually works better on receive even if it isn't tuned for 160.  The
horizontal loop works well.  Of course, if you want to favor one direction
the terminated Beverage works well even as short as 500'.  Remember the
contest starts at 2 PM PST.  Daytime propagation at this time of the solar
cycle can be surprising.  Skeds are welcomed for DX.  Will be multi-op with
both a 4 el vertical beam and a 2 el horizontal beam for high angle.  Good
Luck 73, Darrell, N6DX@aol.com