160m Contest Fun

Subject: 160m Contest Fun
From: ramirezk@emi.com (ramirezk@emi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 09:32:08 1996
The Mission- Work all 50 states.
Weapons-Icom 740,90 watts,Half sloper at 47 ft, Barbed Wire
fence Receive antenna.
Strategy-Tune,tune,tune.
 Decided to "look around" during the 160 meter contest.Started
by searching for the friends and quickly got caught up in the
W.A.S. mode. The Barbed wire fence was used exclusively as the
receive antenna except the hour before sunset and the hour after
 sunrise. Even strong signals aren't heard well on this antenna
at these times.(angle of radiation difference?)
Worked 47 states. Heard KL7Y the first morning but couldn't
break the pileup. Heard AH6AZ the second morning but couldn't
break the pileup. Both were very loud.
Never heard a MAINE station. Loudest and most consistent West
Coast signal was NK7U/OR and numerous California stations.
Toughest time getting him to hear me was W0AIH/WI
Heard tons of DX.
6Y5,8p9,py0f,sp,wp4,c6,vp9,g,gi,gm,s5,s4/4u,I,DK,sm,pa,oh,FM,ha,
pj9,p4,XE,etc. but didn't waste the time calling and qrming the
serious contesters with my poor signal.
 Need an amp!
Score- 137Qs x 56 mults= 18,256
 Some of the guys continue to use the DX window to call CQ.Most
notable was k#XXX who probably believes the whole world stops
hearing DX when he stops hearing DX in the morning from his
North East QTH.He clobbered the XE/Wa7 who was callinq CQ
contest. Don't these guys realize that there is life on this
Earth to their West still in Darkness! And for those of you who
keep complaining,Yes I did sign /W4 as the CQ rules specify and
is what one should do in a DX contest anyway.
 Looking forward to a 160m amp and next years contest. 73 Ken
KP4XS/W4 SC