Tower rating question

Subject: Tower rating question
From: Jeff Singer <wa2syn@li.net> (Jeff Singer)
Hi all...
  I just lost my Aluma 60'motorized crank-up in the recent windstorms
here on
Long Island. Fortunately, I am covered by my homeowners insurance.
Naturally, I am looking to replace the whole thing (antennas gone too),
and am considering a Tri-ex LM470E motorized crank-up, which should be
better able to hold the antennas than the aluminum job, or so I think. And
that leads to my question.

  The advertising material from Tri-ex states the tower will handle 30sf
at 50mph, 15sf at 70mph. I called the engineer, and he says that the
50mph rating is NOT a rating, just a comparison for my "information," and
that the 70mph rating is what he stands behind. Although quite a friendly
and knowledgeable soul, I can't actually get him to commit to anything.

  Does anyone here have any experience with this tower? I am planning to
put up another KLM KT34-XA, and try a KLM 40M-4 (4el 40) instead of my
destroyed 40-2CD. Total windload is 21sf, total antenna wt is 156 lbs.

  The popular US Tower HDX572 is also rated 30sf at 50mph, but NOT rated
at 70mph, and just a bit too expensive. I wonder how they compare.

  Any insight here would be most appreciated. Perhaps you could tell me
of some other successful similar installations that would give me some
perspective. My contest station is off
the air, waiting for the insurance check to arrive,and I'm anxious to make
final decisions so that I can begin to get back on track.

Thanks & 73 de JEFF WA2SYN

wa2syn@li.net