What's wrong with the SSB sprint

Subject: What's wrong with the SSB sprint
From: D.C. Henderson" <n0dh@comtch.iea.com (D.C. Henderson)
On Sun, 4 Feb 1996, Tyler Stewart wrote:

> My conclusion:  Not only does this contest SUCK from the east coast with those
> hours and these sunspots, but the QSY rule creates pure bedlam on 75 phone.
> You've got a bunch of agressive contesters jumping on a whole range of
> freqs from 3815 to 3875 causing havok with the good-ol' boys...and this is one
> contest where you dont stand a chance if you take the time to ask if it's in
> use.
>
> Sorry.  I think it's a nice, challenging idea for a contest, but it's
> implementation needs a hard look.  You can get away with a lot of this stuff
> on CW without too much grease, but on phone it's just out of control.
>
> Just as a suggestion, I think this contest would be much more palatable for
> the next few years run in the afternoon (like starting at 2000Z at the
> latest) instead of evening, and possibly (but not necessarily) using a
> combination of 15,20, and 40 meters, avoiding 75.  By the time this thing
> starts, 20 is dead on the east coast and 75 is already way long!  I heard
> complaints on 3830 after the contest about New England not being
> on...believe me, I know why now!  I just about turned the radio off myself
> after screaming at west coast stations on 20 meters to no avail.  Granted
> conditions were exceptionally poor this time, but I'm sure it's not going to
> be that much different for the next several years.
>
> I welcome your comments...

Tyler

1) I agree that the contest needs to be reviewed, but I'm not sure where
to start.
2) 2000z is a problem for us left coasters as our sunset does not occur
until almost 0100z this time of year. The sprint would be over
by the time we got any propagation at all on 40 and 80.
3) The answer may be that a sprint style low band SSB contest
just makes no sense at all. 40 is almost unusable because of the
broadcast stations and 75 is unusable because of the irrate (and
to point justafiably so) pig farmers. Perhaps a daytime affair
on 20 and 15 might make more sense or (gasp!) even 20, 17, and 15!
and later on when the sun gets measels again 12 and 10 meter sprint?

Dave
N0Dh/7

(Flame suit....."ON").