Comparing Radios

Subject: Comparing Radios
From: Bill Turner <wrt@eskimo.com> (Bill Turner)
At 06:12 PM 2/10/96 -0600, Ralph Fedor wrote:
>We like to compare receivers.  Although I've not had the opportunity to line
>up four or five radios of the same make and model and switch from one to the
>other, I have had the feeling that "this 765 (1000D, 940, 980, or what have
>you) is not as 'hot' as another I have used."
>
>Does significant variability exist between radios of the same make and
>model?  If so, how much?
>
>And, if it exists, are our reviews meaningful?  Is our experience with a
>fortuitous "hot" model that came off the line, or is it with a "not so hot"
>model from the same line.
>
>What does everyone think?
I did TV repair for many years back in the '60s and 70's and I noticed the
same thing. Seemingly identical models would perform differently no matter
how carefully they were adjusted.  Every now and then we'd get one in the
shop that was so outstandingly perfect that one of the technicians would
call the other guys over just to look at it.  Wow! was a typical response.
Probably just a stackup of tolerances all in the right direction.  I have no
doubt amateur radios are the same way.  That's why I can't win these d***
contests...  :-)

73, Bill  W7LZP
wrt@eskimo.com