Wind-ups

Subject: Wind-ups
From: Gary Hinson <"/I=GH/G=Gary/S=Hinson/OU=Internal Audit/"@national-power-plc.np.btx400.co.uk> (Tel 322-3796 ) (Gary Hinson)
At the end of CQWWCW94, I climbed a 60ft 3-section HD wind-up
tower at GW8GT to detach the rotator control cable (we can't
leave it in place because the local vandals like to pinch them).
I *thought* the tower was right down because the winch cable was
slack and it looked fully retracted ...

Shortly after I reached the working height (about 25-30 feet up),
whilst hanging on to the rungs with one hand, I reached up to
unplug the cable.  The top-section suddenly slipped down within
the middle & outer sections about 6 inches, taking up the
remaining slack in the winch cable and trapping my hand between
the rungs.  I'm not sure if it was the end-stop, the winch cable
or my hand which stopped it moving any further down.

Luckily, GW4JBQ was at the base with the winching-handle in hand
(we can't leave them in place either), so he was able to winch
up the inner section just enough to release my hand and let me
gingerly climb down.

I got off lightly - a minor fracture (in my keying hand - maybe
not so lucky but hey the CONTEST was over!) and bruising, but now
I respect some basic safety warnings: climb a ladder not the
tower, wear a hard hat, wear and use a safety harness, climb with
a friend at the base (also wearing a hard hat), keep the winch
cable taught.  And *next* time, I'll insert a hunk of 2x4 through
the sections too (thanks for the idea).

73,  Gary  G4iFB     Gary.Hinson@natpower.co.uk