TailTwister Rotor Problems

Subject: TailTwister Rotor Problems
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 16:32:53 1996

>       I have a TailTwister which is mounted inside Rohn 45 clone, using
>a thrust bearing, and turning a 4-el Cushcraft 20 Meter yagi and a 2-el
>Cushcraft 40 Meter yagi.  The rotor is 11 years old, but has only seen
>service for about 7 of those years.
>       A couple weeks ago (during a 50 mph windstorm), I was
>disappointed to see my antennas swinging back and forth in a 90 degree
>arc. This seemed like a premature death for the rotator, especially
>since the wind load total is only about 15 sq. feet.  Has anyone else had
>similar problems with TailTwisters?

Hiya, Dave --

   The load you described is within the specs of the T2X.  Unfortunately, ANY
rotator has a limited service life.  Any time you have an electromechanical
device holding and turning a round object (the mast), you have asked it to
perform a difficult assignment.  My experience has shown that the 7 years you
mentioned is about the typical life of any rotator (with exception of
prop-pitches.)  I predict your new Yaesu  will give you the same approximate
service.

>I was quite happy with this rotator until this problem.  I also went out and
bought the >new Yaesu rotator (forget the model number, but it has similar
wind load and almost >similar pricing as the TailTwister).  I was intrigued
at the idea of braking via
>the gears its uses (sort of like trying to turn a gear box from the wrong
end, I guess) >and also was surprised to see it uses a DC motor. Any thoughts
on the cause of the >TailTwister's untimely death?  It did successfully
weather a 100 mph hurricane and an >80 mph hurricane a few years back.  I
also would appreciate any thoughts on the >Yaesu model - it is probably not
too late for me to exchange it for another
>TailTwister if I made a bad choice.

   In general, the Japanese rotators appear to be well designed and well
manufactured.   In general, parts and service for the Japanese rotators have
been difficult to come by.

   BTW, the best kept secret in amateur radio is the fact that Hy-Gain has a
flat fee price for fixing their rotators.  For $75 for a Ham IV and $90 for a
T2X, they will fix ANYTHING that is wrong with the rotator.  If you've priced
any of the parts recently, this is the bargain of the century.  In fact, they
haven't adjusted the price since 1983!  Send your T2X back to the factory and
have it repaired - you can't go wrong.

73, Steve  K7LXC

      "Up The Tower"      now appears in CQ Contest magazine