Western Sahara in CQ WPX SSB 1996

Subject: Western Sahara in CQ WPX SSB 1996
From: Eddie Stark <100560.3667@compuserve.com> (Eddie Stark)

Dear friends:

*I have plans to operate from S0 land. Western Sahara will be my next
destination to run the CQ SSB WPX contest. I will be alone, Mono-operator,
multiband, high power.

*The antennas and equipemment arrived last week to destination; Western sahara
territory.

*Normaly I am using Yaesu transceivers. In my shack I have a FT-1000D, but It
was impossible to bring it with me, ( I did it normaly in EA9AM and EA6URP) but
transport this excelent equipement in the middle of the dessert is no possible.
Any way I do not hesitate to take the FT-900. This excelent transceiver do an
excelent job, and I saw in some photos that good contesters are working with the
TS-850, I thought that with the FT-900 I can do better, much better.

*The antennas was also a big problem. What can I use?. But I did not think too
much longer, I decided for the Cushcraft A4S for 10, 15 and 20 meters. For 40
meters I will work with another Cushcraft antenna, the D40. I used it in Melilla
(EA9 CQ SSB WW 1994) and in balearic island (EA6 CQ SSB WW 1995), and I am very
happy with it. For 80 meters I will use a new antenna from Cushcraft, the new
vertical. Of course I must have lot's of radials. The desert is not very good
for that!!.

*Maybe you want a speak about power, let's talk!. The linear I will use is the
FL-7000 from Yaesu. 500~600 watts output. Full automatic. and of course, no
tubes. Normaly I use the Ameritron amplifier. NEVER FAILED!!!  but this time I
have no power to use more watts. Of course the Yaesu is Full automatic and it
will be great for me, I will be only for the pile-up!! hi hi.

*I also sent a power generator. The bigs generators from S0 are not open all
day, for that i must sent one to have full power during the 36 hours of contest.

Well now it's time to leave, I must prepare all transceivers to go to EA6
tomorrow for the SSB ARRL DX CONTEST.

Best Regards
EA3NY

(EA9AM CQ SSB WPX 1995)