Thanks & Pranks & WRTC

Subject: Thanks & Pranks & WRTC
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 07:31:10 1996
The Radiosport IS just another contest....not even one of my favorites -
although I helped write the rules years ago!

WRTC is a contest within that contest that is an attempt at showing these
really good guys going at it without geographic or hardware advantages...i e
the usual excuses you see here on the contest reflector after a contest when
the scores roll in.

WRTC is an event for contesters, yup....and event akin to 2:00 AM in a
hospitality suite at Stouffers during the Hamvention ...no question. But to
say that it is just another contest does a great disservice to the organizers
who are highlighting some world class operators' skills and contesting in
general.

If you don't think that contesters are any different than any other hams, in
most ways you are right, they are just another microcosm of society, but when
it comes to operating techniques like knowing if a short or long CQ is needed
or pullling that weak one out on the first try when another unseasoned
operator wouldn't even know there was someone calling - contesters are the
best and perhaps at the WRTC some of the best of the best will get some
recognition for their years of training.  Don't suppose you are gonna watch
any of the Olympic games from Atlanta either, eh?

Jim   K1ZX       bk1zx70sfl@aol.com