Climbing belts, OSHA, Klein, etc.

Subject: Climbing belts, OSHA, Klein, etc.
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun Mar 24 13:23:28 1996
>>Where do you get Klein climbing belts and how do they compare with ONV and
>>Al's Tools(if you know)?
>>I am using the belt that came with a Marine/Navy TBW WW II transmitter.
>>Being a "big" guy I fear the belt may be getting old.
>I am fortunate to have purchased mine before Klein went out of business.
>Sorry, I just found out via someone on the internet that Klein is no longer
>in business. I will post this reply to the reflector. Maybe someone else can
>suggest a suitable replacement. Sounds like you are definately in the market
>for a new belt!

Hello everyone interested in this important topic --

   First of all, Klein HAS NOT gone out of business; they are a multi-million
dollar manufacturer of tools and equipment of all sorts.  They HAVE stopped
manufacturing waist-only safety belts (these are called 'positioning' belts)
because they are no longer legal to use under current OSHA regulations.  OSHA
calls for full body fall arrest harnesses.  This rules apply to OCCUPATIONAL
use; if you are a tower owner or someone doing tower work for no pay, you
don't have to comply with OSHA regs.  My advice is to err on the side of
safety; it's not that much more expensive or time-consuming to do things the
OSHA way but ultimately the choice is up to you.
   Even though Klein has stopped making waist-only safety belts, they are
still available in the marketplace from other manufacturers or dealers that
still have some in stock.  The belt by W2ONV is MANUFACTURED to OSHA
standards but does not comply to OSHA safety standards (see above).

   Anyone interested in more on this topic can send me their postal address
and I will send them a reprint of my CQ Contest magazine column that deals
with safety issues.

73,   Steve   K7LXC

From: Kok Chen <kchen@apple.com> (Kok Chen)
Subject: County Hunting Help

Bill, W7LZP wrote:

> At 08:37 PM 3/23/96 GMT, Tom Wylie wrote:
> > Hi there and thanks for reading this.  I am a US County Hunter and after
> > making some 1900 QSOs in the recent AARL Contest would like to try to
> > boost my totals.  ...

> Yes, the Flying Horse CD-ROM callbook gives counties.  I ordered mine from
> AA6EE, Duane Heise for $39.95 including shipping (in the US).

If you have access to the World Wide Web, the Buckmaster site has a
callsign search which, for U. S. callsigns, give the county the station
address is in.

The URL is:

     http://www.buck.com/cgi-bin/do_hamcall

Buckmaster also shows the grid square it thinks the station is located at.

73

Kok Chen, AA6TY                         kchen@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.

From: Bob Selbrede <w9nq@ccis.com> (Bob Selbrede)
Subject: Old Climbing Belts

        In following this discussion on climbing belts, another thought
occured to me.  If you are upgrading from an old or worn out belt, do
everyone a favor and THROW THE OLD ONE AWAY.   Resist the temptation to do
someone a favor buy selling them a belt real cheap.  Don't even give it
away.  Same advice applies to potential buyers of "good deal" belts at swap
meets etc.  There's probably a good reason why it's a "good deal".  Your
life depends on good judgement in this case.  Climb safe!

73, Bob W9NQ

From: k3lr <k3lr@telerama.lm.com> (k3lr)
Subject: Towers and The FAA

Although the thread on towers and the FAA is coming to end, I want
to relate my experiences with the FAA.

Over the years, I have worked for a communications company which
constucted more than 30 towers in eastern Ohio and western
Pennsylvania.
During this period I have learned that filing an application with
the FAA is not as complicated as it appears. The form (FAA 7460) is
available from the FAA offices and it is free.  We file an FAA form
on EVERY tower we propose to build, regardless of height. If the FAA
determines that there are no issues with public use airports, it is
simple insurance. If the FAA determines that there are issues, it is
better to know about them before the tower is constucted. The
primary point here is saftey, not hassles. If an aircraft hits a tower
that should of been filed with the FAA, it will not be a pleasant
situation with an insurance company and lawyers.

Two instances of aircraft hitting towers come to mind.

The first one may of been the result of the erectors not lighting the
tower while it was being constructed (as the FCC mandated they must
do).
People died in the crash and millions of dollars in damages and law
suits were spent.

The second one was recently where a traffic observing airplane
hit a tower that was propoerly filed with the FAA and the tower
owner did comply with the FAA rules. The cause of this crash
appeared to be weather related.

I subbmitted a FAA 7460 some years ago before building my 40
meter tower. I live less than 1 mile from an airport. At the
time it was listed as public use, recently it has become a
private airport. The process with the FAA (and the FCC)
went along without a hitch.

As law suits become more and more common when bad things happen,
I would not consider building a tower (professionally or as an amateur
radio licensee) without filing a 7460 first with the FAA.

In dealing with the FAA, I have found them reasonable and competent.
The person that signs the 7460 form repesenting the FAA at one of
their offices just happens to be a ham!

One of the other nice things about the filing process with
the FAA is that its FREE!

It seems to me that if an amateur radio tower was hit by aircraft
and it was determined that the tower owner should of, but didn't
file with the FAA, it could set PRB-1 back a long way.

73!
Tim K3LR

PS Regarding tower belts and climbing hardware, I never lend my
belt to anyone. If I put my life on the line at 20 feet or 200 feet
on a tower, I want to know the complete history of my saftey device.
Even with routine inspections, I replace my tower belt every 5 years.

Be SAFE, your life depends on it!

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)
Subject: should I renew NCJ?

There has been surprisingly little comment here about the relative
merits of NCJ and the new CQ competitor.   Is NCJ going to survive
the glossy colored monthly competition?   The CQ one has some basic
operating stuff that typical NCJ readers don't need to be told, so
perhaps NCJ will continue as the hard-core contesters' journal - or
will it?   At least one of the regular contributors has jumped ship
to the glossy one.

Just wondering whether to shell out the $12 for a renewal ....

Derek "skinflint" AA5BT
oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu