A db is a db.

Subject: A db is a db.
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Tue Apr 2 16:47:55 1996

 00> Sorry, I can't take it any more.

 00> A 6 dB change in voltage IS a 6 dB change in power.  If the
 00> voltage is doubled then dB(voltage)=20 log 2=6.02.

 00> And since power is proportional to voltage squared it goes
 00> up by 4 times and dB(power)=10 log 4=6.02.

 00> George, W2VJN.

Hi George:

You're absolutely right, and my apologies to W8JI, but I said that a
doubling of voltage is 6dB, and a doubling of power is 3dB. Which is
correct.

But for some reason, it just didn't connect that it takes 4 times the
power at the transmitter to produce twice the voltage at the receiver.
Gaining S-units ain't easy is it? But I'll still take every dB I can
get!

73 Bill N6CQ/3