Proposed New Contest Exchange

Subject: Proposed New Contest Exchange
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (n0dh@comtch.iea.com)
Date: Thu Apr 4 22:43:58 1996
"Bruce (AA8U)" <aa8u@voyager.net> wrote:

>I propose that for some contests, the present sent "signal report", be
>replaced with something which is more meaningful, not just more QRM. I
>suggest that we use the HEX sum of the ASCII codes of our call signs rather
>than the current 59(9) signal report. This could be in addition to your
>State or other info presently in use.

Bruce

1) I agree we need more meanigful exchanges for most contests.

2) The HEX idea is I fear in reality no better than than 59(9) because
it can be "calculated" by an easy subroutine which would quickly be
imbedded in most of the more popular contest logging programs. The
software would no doubt calculate the HEX input for you and enter it in
the log freeing the operator from having to worry about getting it right
since the software would or could be self coreecting.

3) The exchange needs to be something that is unique for each operator,
is totaly random in nature, changes from contest to contest. or even
changes from band to band OR...even more diabilically is TOTALY random
in nature and must be different for each QSO (he he he he a sick mind
is a terrible thing to waste).

Dave
N0DH