Quieting amplifiers

Subject: Quieting amplifiers
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 14:44:25 1996
>     Air doesn't like to turn corners either.   While what Fred sugests
>     might well reduce the air system noise, vigorous application of this
>     solution reduces the air flow to the tube by increasing the back
>     presssure and intake resistance.  It is not a good idea to restrict
>     the air flow through an amplifier unless you have the facilities to
>     measure the results against the tube manufacturer's air flow
>     requirements.  No amplifier I ever saw failed due to excessive noise.

Dick's advice is VERY good, especially with the large stuff he works with.
With air velocities used by tiny little tubes like 1200's, air is pretty
"fluid".

I have full air flow measuring capability here. The easiest way to measure
airflow is by the pressure differential across the anode. Eimac recommends
.5" for 1200 watts CCS dissipation with the 3CX1200, and the flow can be
reduced for amateur duty. Remember CCS is 1200 watts without ANY
interruption.

With the AL1200 on the slowest speed blower tap:
no cover-.38",  cover .38", cover with 50% of exhaust holes blocked .38",
cover with 50% of inlet holes blocked .37", cover with a baffel box
(described earlier) on inlet and outlet .37+ ".  Cabinet inlet fully blocked
0.1"-, cabinet outlet fully blocked 0.2"-.

Blower on fastest tap and normal cover  .52".

An amp with a pair of 3CX800's "especially noted" for being quiet. (3CX800's
require .5" of pressure drop at 800 watts CCS per tube):

No cover .13" , cover .12"

That's still enough for amateur service, since it allows ~800 watts total CCS
dissipation with a pair of tubes (at sea level).

Baffle away according to description on those 1200's, but for hammering away
during contests, use a faster blower tap. If you aren't sure of your amp
(especially if the amp is really quiet) buy some temperature sensitive paint
or crayons. Test the tube seals and other critical components. Like Dick
said, not may tubes or components fail from noise!

73 Tom