Replacing cables, etc.

Subject: Replacing cables, etc.
From: N3ADL@aol.com (N3ADL@aol.com)
Date: Sun Apr 14 15:00:04 1996
Gentlemen...
One does not need to buy the cables from the manufacturer. Look in the yellow
pages of your phone directory under the heading WIRE ROPE manufacturers. ANY
competent wire rope place can duplicate your tower cable EXACTLY as they came
from the factory and you have the choice of materials used...either stainless
steel aircraft cable or galvanized will work, tho I think Galvanized is the
stronger of the two. I have a used Tristao 55' (wish it was 90'!) motorized
crank up that I replaced the cables on before I put it up 3 years ago and as
George, W2VJN, said it is NOT genetic engineering. It takes a few moments to
diagram where the two cables are fed thru what pulleys but even I did it.. I
replaced the cable with the tower laying on the ground but would assume if I
took all the weight off the cables I could do it with the tower in the
vertical position. Total cost to replace the cable was 128 USD......Not sure
what the factory would charge but would bet its higher.
                       Just my 2 cents worth...73 de Doug // N3ADL