Stacking TH7's

Subject: Stacking TH7's
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 00:24:56 1996
Although there have been several good responses to AA8U's inquiry about this,
I haven't seen anything about sidemounting AND ROTATING TH7's in a stack.  I
had good luck with a pair of TH7's on Rohn 55 and I rotated the bottom one
using a DX Engineering side mount--which has no really unique qualities--just
good and strong.  I was able to get 300+ degrees of rotation with the black
out area 30 degrees either side of south.  This doesn't go together without a
lot of critical placement, however.  I pre-constructed the center boom
section with just the stubbs of the driven elements on and brought it up for
a test.  It was easy to handle in this configuration.  With the mast loose in
the T2X, I swung it around many times before I found just the right
combination of angles.  Once this was determined tightening and pinning the
boom mounting block assured that the antenna, fully constructed, would go
back in the exact same location.  Be sure to pre-figure which side of the
boom the loading tubes are on--I had to move mine to the opposite side for my
desired south stop.  Even though the elements come within an inch of the
tower in one direction, there was very little change in loading while
rotating. I'm in northern MN and put SS contesting at a high priority, so the
ability to spray in 2 directions is very important.  Partially because of an
insatiable appetite for trying different antennas (also because they are so
much smaller and easier to raise, lower, and adjust), I went to C3's this
past year.  So far they seem at least equal and they are a slam dunk to
rotate on a side mount!   Because of the size and the spread 55'/110', I'm
seriously thinking of throwing a 3rd one in the middle fixed at EU.  This is
a great hobby!  John, K0IJL