ARRL Letter: WRTC grant

Subject: ARRL Letter: WRTC grant
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (frenaye@pcnet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 19:12:11 1996
Two items of interest in this week's ARRL Letter (available at www.arrl.org):

FIRST COLVIN AWARD GRANT TO WRTC

The first ARRL Colvin Award grant has been made to the World Radiosport Team
Championship 96 Inc. The $5000 award will help support the WRTC event to be
held in the San Francisco area July 13-14. The event, featuring HF
competition among 52 two-member teams, is being held in conjunction with the
IARU HF World Championship Contest. ARRL Executive Vice President Dave
Sumner, K1ZZ, plans to deliver the grant to the WRTC-96 officers and
directors at Visalia, California, this weekend.

The Colvin Award was established in 1994 with the proceeds of a life
insurance policy purchased by Lloyd Colvin, W6KG, that named the ARRL as
beneficiary. The award is conferred in the form of grants in support of
Amateur Radio projects that promote international goodwill in the field of
DX.

The first WRTC competition, with 22 competing teams, was held in Seattle,
Washington, in 1990. Eleven competitors from the 1990 event--including
defending champions K1AR and K1DG--are returning for this year's event.

WORLD-CLASS FOXHUNT COMING TO CALIFORNIA

An international-style foxhunt on May 5, 1996, will be part of the 1996 West
Coast VHF/UHF Conference in La Mirada, California. ARRL Lab Supervisor Ed
Hare, KA1CV, is among those scheduled to speak at the conference. He'll
discuss TVI and the Amateur Radio operator.

"Foxhunting" or "foxtailing" for hidden radio transmitters is a very popular
radio sport around the world, but it's done differently from the typical US
hidden-transmitter or "T-hunts," which often are conducted from vehicles,
with perhaps a short on-foot search (called a "sniff") at the end.
International-style foxhunts are done on foot in big wooded parks. Five or
more "foxes" transmit in sequence for a minute each. The first hunter to
locate all foxes wins. Youngsters in many European and Asian countries do
foxtailing as part of their physical education programs in school. A world
foxhunting championship takes place in Europe or Asia every three years.

For the California event, all transmitters will be on 2-meter FM. There will
be separate divisions for various age groups, with prizes for individual
winners in each division.  There also will be team prizes. All entrants must
compete independently, and each entrant must bring his or her own RDF
equipment. For more information and ideas, check out the VHF/UHF Conference
Web site at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kc6yhm, provided by
Mike Cramer, KC6YHM.

The foxtailing contest offers cash prizes and trophies to winners. The event
is open to anyone who has registered at the conference. It's being organized
by the Southern California Six Meter Club. For more information, contact Joe
Moell, K0OV, at HomingIn@ aol.com or at 75236.2165@compuserve.com.

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444