Fwd: Contesting and the Internet?

Subject: Fwd: Contesting and the Internet?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 13:53:15 1996
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Contesting and the Internet?
From:    K7LXC
To:      ramirezk@emi.com

> Does prohibiting the
>use of  Non Radio "Modern Digital technologies" for contesting a detriment
>the hobby? Absolutely not. Some of you need to delineate where the RADIO
>hobby
>ends and the COMPUTER hobby begins. When you open the door and blur the line
>you
>are contributing to the eventual extinction of Radio as a means of
>communication
>in our hobby. Eventually we'll all be on the Internet DX 56k line spending
our
>mornings with a cup of Coffee in one hand and typing in "CQ Internet" with
the
>other. Some of you don't know where to draw the line. I'm glad CQ knows
where to
>draw it. Personally ,I will avoid contests where the sponsor allows the use
of
>non-amateur radio means to solicit and make qsos.
>           What next? A full T1 hookup to every Amateur in the World to get
on
>the Amateur Operator Digital World Wide Network? You  might as well start
>selling your FT1000s and IC-775s right now while they are still worth
>something.
> It might actually come to that if some of you guys have your way. SAVE OUR
>HOBBY from this encroachment of NON RADIO technology.

Ken --

     For once, I agree with you.  The (successful) use of the landline during
the OH0W effort  (Martti calls up and asks if you will please get on the air
and work us?) was the reason that the "non-amateur" rule was instituted.  The
commonality with that and the internet is the telephone line -- in my line of
thinking that makes them the same 'non-amateur' means.

73,   Steve    K7LXC