Rain Static

Subject: Rain Static
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (n0dh@comtch.iea.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 17:39:51 1996
W8JITom@aol.com wrote:

>To my knowlege, no one has ever done an experiment proving charged rain drops
>are the source of the problem, and that insulation helps this and not a
>corona problem. I'd be willing to bet the "rain drop discharge" is folklore,
>and the real problem is corona discharge.

Tom

There is an Junior High School science project that I remember performing
(A long long time ago) that dripped water through a coil of wire. The coil
in turn was hooked to a very sensitive meter movement or oscilliscope
which flickered every time a drop of water passed through the coil.
The inference was that the water drop was indeed charged. The "moving"
electric field caused by the falling "charged" drop in turn induced
a current in the coil which in turn was detectable on the meter or scope.
Been there, did that.

Rain drop discharge or corona discharge? Which came first the chicken
or the egg? Just remember that a chicken is an eggs way of being sure
there will always be more egss. I suspect that BOTH are at work here
and in fact the charged rain drop may well be the corona's egg ( or is
that chicken?).

Anyway  I do agree with your comments about insulated wires etc. In
fact it is just as likely that a charged drop falling on an insulated
wire will transfer its "static" charge to the insulation which at
that point might be considered part of a capacitor which would couple
the noise into the antenna system anyway.

It maybe that a "Radome" approach is the only way to avoid the problem.
i.e. put your whole antenna system under a giant dome! That oughta
give some of the big guns who have everything something to think about!
Imagine being to climb your tower in safety, 24 hours a day, regardless
of what the weather is outside! No rain static, no snow static, no
corona discharge....Life is beautiful...I like my room... my room is soft,
maybe even inflatable (like those indoor golf driving ranges)~8^).

Dave
N0DH/7
n0dh@comtch.iea.com