The Early Days

Subject: The Early Days
From: Nzharps@aol.com (Nzharps@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 16:56:44 1996
Hi All,
   Couldn't resist jumping onto the nostalgia bandwagon..K8OBC, my 7th grade
Science/Math teacher first turned me on to radio in 1959.  His studyhall
"radio" class taught me the code and helped me pass the novice in November.
 KN8RMK hit the air with a DX-20, an old Hammurland HQ-??? and a 130ft end
fed wire.  Contesting had to wait a bit as it took me several days to
complete my first QSO with KN8QXL (a classmate two miles away).  Now that's
what I call rate.
   Hardware upgrades in the early days were primarily due my Dad's interest
in radio. A homebrew 2-L 15m yagi with wooden boom brought life to the bands.
Later a Swan Tribander at 30ft got me onto 20m.  When the OM upgraded a KWM-2
found it's way into the shack...Mom only asked once why the lights on the
radio looked a little different.
   High School was filled with the usual stuff and it also introduced me to
CD parties.  I clearly remember working the likes of K1LPL, K4BAI.  Early
entries in SS in '61 and '62 introduced me to legends W9IOP and W4KFC.
 Listening to those two as a kid was awe inspiring to say the least.
   I came back from college to find that the  Indian Hills RC had been taken
over by  contesters.  W8QXQ(N8AA), W8KIC, WA8UQH(K8AZ),WA3BGE(K8MR) could all
be found at meetings being exhorted by a refugee from the PVRC (W8HSK) to get
on and have fun in the SS.  This crowd would form part of the nucleus of MRRC
and later the NCC along with the K8AZ Contest Crew of present day.
   Hope to see all in Dayton!
   73, Ron K8NZ