Elevated cable runs

Subject: Elevated cable runs
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 4 10:29:35 1996

>As a simplified example, if you have a 100 ft tower, and bring the cable
>down to 10 ft, then run it into the shack, you may retain 10% of the
>voltage of a lightning strike on the cable. This is (as I'm sure you
>know) because the tower appears as an inductance to the quick pulse of a
>strike, and the cable at the 10 ft level appears as a "tap" 10% above
>ground potential of the tower/inductor.
>As long as the shield of the feedline is grounded at the tower BASE, the
>way the cable is carried into the shack is irrelevant.

That's part of what I was thinking of, the other part was RF induced currents
in the feeder.

The main difference between *proper* commercial installations and typical
Ham-type installation is grounding methods. Proper installations bring the
feeders and other conductors through a grounded bulkhead, and the entire
station is grounded to a common point...power mains, telco, antennas, and
all.

Most Amateurs won't or can't do that, plus they have LF RF to contend with.

The safest system is to bring the feeders and rotor wires all down to ground
level and run them underground to the house.

73 Tom