SS Rookie Plaque- Comments ?

Subject: SS Rookie Plaque- Comments ?
From: rkaufman@magic.mb.ca (rkaufman@magic.mb.ca)
Date: Tue May 21 23:21:00 1996
Responding to the lack of "Newbie" participation in MY favorite
contest (SS)...
[ Gimme a break, its hard to work DX contests barefoot from VE4
land at the BEST of times, never mind at Sunspot minimums. Its
the only 'test I have a half assed chance of doing well in]

I wish to announce the creation of a NEW Plaque to be awarded for
each mode in SS.

  SWEEPSTAKES - ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

The idea behind it was so stimulate participation by contest
newcomers and recognize their achievements. We all started out at
one time or another and I felt it would be nice to encourage some
of the recently licensed SS entrants. We're always complaining
about the lack of new blood. He is a way to stimulate
participation.

I spoke with Billy Lunt during Dayton and he agreed that it would
be a good idea. I just need to put down on paper the exact
requirements and stipulations for awarding of the plaques. (I am
sponsoring one each for SSB and CW)

Here's how it looks so far:

Rookie defined:
An amateur licensed during the last TWO calendar years before SS.
eg/  For SS 96,  Rookies could be licensed in calendar year 1995
OR 1996.
I used the 2 year timeframe because I felt that 11 months may not
be enough time for some of the newer contesters to get their feet
wet (especially in CW). All rookies must use their year of
licensure during the contest exchange, even though they may be
operating a club station or location other than their home
station. The idea is to make sure we know who is a rookie even
if they use a different call or club call. We want to know WHO
they are DURING the contest. Single Op ONLY, NO packet spots
allowed. Best score wins.

Proof of licensure must be submitted at the time of log
submission. Envelopes must be clearly marked with "SS Rookie" on
the front. NO license submitted ?..automatic "Nonrookie" status,
no matter what year you were licensed. (Billy and the boys at
ARRL have enough paperwork to do, we must impress upon those
wishing to qualify for the plaque that it is up to THEM to make
it as easy as possible for the ARRL.) The only problem I see is
the need to send additional paper (copy of license) in the case
of electronic log submission. Most rookies will want Pins or mugs
anyway so they might as well send a copy of their license with
their $$.

POWER
This is where I am open to suggestion. I think that most Rookies
are likely to be running A Precedence so I think it may be a good
idea to limit contestants to A power. ( Hey ! I said 2 plaques
NOT 4 !!) "A" category seems to be the most popular by numbers
and IMO , most newbies will not be running an amp.

I am prepared to sponsor the plaques ( in perpetuity) if the
response is favorable and if the contest community thinks it is
worthwhile.

Finally, PLEASE make a conscious effort to thank each SSB
participant with a check year of 1996. I know that this can be
tough at times, but as the winner of the 1995 L.P. Phone plaque I
can tell you that it is not that difficult to end the QSO with a
short " Welcome to SS" or "Enjoy the contest". I think it makes a
BIG difference in encouraging newcomers to answer us and
acknowledges that we too did start out at one time .

Billy has agreed to place a "Feature Box" in the Ovtober SS
announcement, in order to highlight the award and "talk it up".
I'd like you SS hotshots out there to help me publicize this
award BEFORE SS.

Suggestions/comments welcome. Please submit them to me directly
and I will summarize if I get enough responses. The paperwork
will probably go in to ARRL within a couple of few weeks.

73
Rob Kaufmann VE4GV
rkaufman@magic.mb.ca