fraud (and switch to new topic)

Subject: fraud (and switch to new topic)
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (frenaye@pcnet.com)
Date: Sat Jun 8 01:07:59 1996
K7FR sez:

> Take a listen to your local repeater and tell me if what you hear
> inspired you to take up contesting; it's not inspiring -- it's
> embarrassing!

Allow me to disagree.  We were all beginners once.  We (maybe it was just
me?) all sounded like idiots to the old timers.  Build a bridge, don't burn
the bridges.  If I was a newcomer reading this stuff I'd certainly feel no
incentive to become a contester - actually, it'd convince me not to.

OK, new subject, let's get back to operating and station building!

Field Day and contesters.

Within YCCC I've been promoting the idea that each member of the club ought
to particpate in a local club's FD effort.  Many have been doing it for
years, and most of them are in a leadership role within the local club.
Seems like an ideal place to show newcomers how to operate better, and the
joys of CW and other modes besides FM.  So far I've compiled a list of 60
YCCCers planning to operate with local clubs!  This should be a great way to
do some scouting for new contesting talent as well - we just may end up with
some good prospects for future YCCC members.

Some of my earliest ham radio experiences (besides operating on 2M FM as a
Novice and still deciding to get into contesting) involved Field Day.  A
bunch of older guys let me operate at a really nice radio all night long - it
was great!  They were happy to see me learn to run stations, I was happy
because of the opportunity.

As one YCCC member said, newcomers don't get as intimidated by operating at
Field Day (a pseudo-contest) as they do at a M/M or M/S contest effort.

Are any other contest clubs doing something similar?  Wonder what your
experiences have been.

73 Tom

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444