Pre-WRTC - Strategies?

Subject: Pre-WRTC - Strategies?
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 23:37:39 1996
I agree - we CAN have a little fun without going to the WRTC games. I was
wondering about having a lot of fun without going to them by using the N2IC
approach of WRTC-past:

GETTING ON IN THE CONTEST AND WORKING ALL THOSE FRIGGIN' WRTC GUYS WITH THEIR
UNIQUE CALLS!

What I was hinting at in my last post regarding votes as to who will win was
well diagnosed by N6IG who suggested that a lot of the "voting" would be
voting based on the familiarity of a call (i.e.: the Bro in Law, and
returning Champion Team, raise the belt above your heads boys,  'AR and 'DG).

BUT

I would like to discuss the merits of one form of operating approach/attack
to score big in this contest (versus another operating strategy)! This is the
idea of, and I think the essence of (correct me 'KKN) The Contest Reflector.

A LOT OF THE ABILITY TO SCORE WELL WILL BE A FUNCTION OF A GIVEN TEAMS
SUCCESS AT A CERTAIN TYPE OF CONTEST OPERATING!

If the contest becomes more of a DX-feast, then, a team like AR/DG who have
done these together for YEARS (since before N2AA knew them) is a
favorite....but, and this is the part that really intrigues me:

IF DX CONDX STINK (it is the bottom of the cycle) IT WILL BE
SWEEPSTAKES/NAQP-like in its nature.

The best operators in one type of contest are NOT necessarily the best type
in another. K1AR has a very high success rating in the DX-contests due to his
familiarity with propagation paths and the appropriate time of day to look
for them. K1AR also spent years beating his head against the wall trying to
win the Phone SS from W2PV's QTH! Would a team including SS First place
finishers like N6TR/K5ZD/WN4KKN/KR0Y be "at an advantage." Mebbe a team with
two in it? Or how about one of them paired with a guy who is frequently DX?

The type of contest the competitors will be up against next month will
probably favor a domestic ("W") ham as it will probably be occuring during
very poor propagation. Yes, the DX contacts are preferable to make, but when
you can't make those, it is time for a Sweepstakes/NAQP.....or for your old
farts a CD Party.....heah, isn't that the old "Open" CD Party Weekend!

Operating strategies for next month's event are evolving, I will be very
interested to see how the winning scores do it on a continental breakdown
basis. How many DX QSOs do u trade for fast Ws?

This is my interest, as a test of the operators' flexability to find
QSOs.....sure, the points favor CW qsos two to one......if conditions really
REALLY stink, I bet you we will hear begging for QSOs  - on SSB!!!!!

Someone recently asked what I would do if won the lotto, I told them that for
one, I would hang out with the guys at WRTC in July.....but the more I think
about it the more I wanna get on the air for it!

With the leaning being towards it being a domestic contest as a single op
enterring I could work 52 teams on hopefully 4 bands from here in Florida.
Thats prox 200 QSOs, with those special teams, alone....all of them highly
proficient operators so I would be guaranteed quick QSOs with all of
them.....easy contacts! This on top of everyone else in the Radiosport, maybe
I am just doing a little self psyching guys, but I bet we could have some fun
in this contest from our own homes this year! Look at the WRTC guys as
"gravy" to make a bottom of the cycle contest that much more fun....they will
be easy Qs.

If you need another reason to get on, you not only have the WRTC
incentives/prizes.....the Radiosport will be begging for "guns" since the
usuals are all out of contention!

This year, I think I will fight the Florida Summer QRN and operate the
Radiosport!  And, I am interested in strategies for it!

I hope the W6OAT and the WRTC have plans for a detailed post contest press
release via the Contest Reflector as to who won and HOW they maximized their
POINTS...many are belittling this event, I think they haven't thought it all
the way through, this could be a blast.

Jim zx                    k1zx@contesting.com